cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin_Schweins
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey there,

I've been trying to achieve the following for a few hours now, but without any luck.

STEP 1: I track the time I spend on a certain activity (# session in minutes column in screenshot)

STEP2:  I also sum up the time I spent across all sessions (# sum minutes column in screenshot)

Question: Right now I have to do step 2 manually. As you can see in the screenshot, I manually add the last session's number of minutes to the existing sum of minutes. I oftentimes forget, and / or make errors.

How can I do STEP2 automatically? I just want a column in which the last sessions' number of minutes gets automatically added to the existing total sum of minutes. 

Do you have ANY idea on how to do this? Seems kind of simple and I'd know how to to this in excel but I can't seem to get this to work in Airtable.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11.16.21.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Martin -- It is easy to get caught up trying to solution a problem as you would in a spreadsheet. Here is how I would do this in Airtable:

Create a new table called Totals

Link each session to the same "Total".

In the Total field add a rollup field (on session minutes) and SUM(values). This will give you the total minutes in your sessions table.

If you want to see that total in your sessions table add a lookup field to the "Totals" column you just added.

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Martin -- It is easy to get caught up trying to solution a problem as you would in a spreadsheet. Here is how I would do this in Airtable:

Create a new table called Totals

Link each session to the same "Total".

In the Total field add a rollup field (on session minutes) and SUM(values). This will give you the total minutes in your sessions table.

If you want to see that total in your sessions table add a lookup field to the "Totals" column you just added.