Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Formula to put a distinction on fields with the same data

874 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ms_ea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there!

I'm wondering if there's a way I can add a distinction for fields that have the same data. For example, there's two entries that are on the same date (09-22-2023). I have been trying to find out a way to somehow, say, put 09-22-2023a and then 09-22-2023b so I know which one is entered first and so on.

I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4
Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @ms_ea,

For non-calculated fields, how about using the LAST_MODIFIED_TIME function?

If you put the field name in the argument, you will get the modification date and time for the individual field.

LAST_MODIFIED_TIME({Date})

Hi @Sho !

I really appreciate your quick response. Apparently, the field (date) is on a lookup.. I initially used Hour({field name}) formula to concatenate in the date, unfortunately it doesn't work exactly. Say, if the time is 9:20am, the result gives me 1 instead of 9. If I put in 12:00, it gives me 4. It seems like a time zone problem but then I toddled off the time zone in formatting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
ms_ea

Why don’t you just create a new field that is either type Created Time or Modified Time, whichever works best for your needs? These fields are natively built into Airtable. No formulas needed. 

Hi @ms_ea ,

You could solve this by creating an automation that tracks whenever a new record is created, the automation could have a find action which would look at whether there is another record in the table with the same field. If it finds one, it means that the record that was just created is a duplicate -> in this case the automation should update the record that was just created by adding a letter at the end of the name and update the other, old record with a different letter (since it is the original record likely with the "a" at the end,

I hope this helps!

Calendly: https://alessiomonino.com/contact
Email: alessio.monino@gmail.com