2672 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus_Wernig
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I have a formula that’s doing what I want it to do. But I’d like the field {ACTUAL VALUE} to be currency formatted like {EST. VALUE} - I’d also like to get a SUM at the bottom of this column, so I need it to be a number.
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 5.19.44 PM

This is what I have so far.

IF(STAGE="Executed", {EST. VALUE},"")

What do I need to add? Thank you so much in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

The problem is the final empty string in your formula. That’s forcing the output to be a string, not a number. Long story short, the IF() function only outputs a single type of data. If one part outputs a number and another outputs a string, Airtable will force-convert the first part to be a string for consistency.

The solution is easy: leave out that ending empty string. If that third argument is omitted, Airtable will leave the field empty.

IF(STAGE="Executed", {EST. VAL.})

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Markus_Wernig
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I think I just found the solution:

IF(STAGE="Executed", {EST. VAL.},"")+0

That allows me to format the formula field as a currency.
And all empty fields show up as $0, which is perfect.
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 6.00.34 PM

The problem is the final empty string in your formula. That’s forcing the output to be a string, not a number. Long story short, the IF() function only outputs a single type of data. If one part outputs a number and another outputs a string, Airtable will force-convert the first part to be a string for consistency.

The solution is easy: leave out that ending empty string. If that third argument is omitted, Airtable will leave the field empty.

IF(STAGE="Executed", {EST. VAL.})

That’s even better and so much simpler. Thank you, @Justin_Barrett