Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phillip_Silk-Ne
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am new to Airtable and Formulas

I saw a post by Florian_Kleinicke

Who said he had managed something similar, could someone please explain how I use the formula below.

DATETIME_DIFF(DATETIME_FORMAT({Birthday},‘MM-DD’),DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),‘MM-DD’),‘days’)

My problem (which is likely is also a problem here) is that TODAY() won’t update on its own. It stays the same for a while.
Is there a solution to that problem?
I’m using automations to send an email, once the computed difference hits 0.

Ah I just came um with a solution, that might circumvent that problem. I can compute the birthday
DATETIME_PARSE(DATETIME_FORMAT({Birthday},‘MM-DD’),‘MM-DD’)

12 Replies 12
alexmarshall
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Oh, I remember I wanted to do this too! However, I don’t remember the exact formula, because I made it too complicated….

I had a crazy idea to make Airtable notify me the week before somebody’s birthday, so I could order a gift basket with flowers and candies. Anyways, you should probably use an if-cycle. For example, the formula could look like this: if the date of today corresponds with somebody’s birthday => send a birthday email. It should not be hard.

cam

Hello,

maybe I am late on the question.

Why not use a View called "Today birthdays" and automate on the event "When record enters view"?

Or you can make an automation that starts at midnight for example where "Birthday Date" field is equal to "today".