cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matteo_Ottavian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Community,

I am struggling with a formula which I thought would have been easy and I would need some help:

What I am trying to achieve is: if column a is empty, return value A but if Column B is empty, return value B, but if Column A contains the value X in the string, return X.

This is what I have been trying so far:

IF(({COLUMN Al} = BLANK(), “VALUE A”, IF({COLUMN B} =BLANK(), “VALUE B”, IF(FIND(“X”, {COLUMN A), “X”)))

My problem is that even if the formula doesn’t trigger an error, I am not getting the result connected to the last part IF(FIND(“X”, {COLUMN A), “X”)))

What am I doing wrong, please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matteo_Ottavian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey, I managed to obtain the result I was looking for with this formula:

IF({Customer Email} !="", “Direct”, IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name”, “Reseller”))

Thank you so much @ScottWorld for putting me on the right track!

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

You’re missing a closing parenthesis after your FIND function.

Extracting just your final IF statement, it should look like this:

IF(FIND("X", {COLUMN A}), "X")

Matteo_Ottavian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @ScottWorld thanks for looking into this and for your reply.
Sorry but there was a typo when I copied and pasted the formula. To make things clearer, I have created a base: Airtable - Grid view

What I would like to achieve is:

1. If reseller email cell is empty and customer email is populated, the value in reseller or direct should be the same as the customer email cell.
  2. like 1 but inverted
  3. if a specific string of text is contained in the reseller email, the value should be the string

3 works if I don’t add the other IF conditions but I have no idea why the whole formula doesn’t.

This is the formula I am using:

IF({Reseller Email} = BLANK(), “Direct Order”, IF({Customer Email} =BLANK(), “Reseller Order”, IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name” )))

Thanks

Instead of making those fields equal to BLANK(), make them equal to "".

Matteo_Ottavian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

HI @ScottWorld,

Thanks for your follow up. Unfortunately, I am still not getting the desired outcome:

If I use this formula:

IF({Reseller Email} = " ", “Direct Order”, IF({Customer Email} = " ", “Reseller Order”, IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name” )))

The IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name” ))) part works but the first IFs don’t.

If instead I use this formula:

IF({Reseller Email} = “”, “Direct Order”, IF({Customer Email} = “”, “Reseller Order”, IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name” )))

The first 2 conditions work but the last one doesn’t.

Basically the only difference between the 2 formulas is that in the second one there is no space between the quotes ("") and in the first one there is a space (" ")

Would you have any idea, please?

Matteo_Ottavian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey, I managed to obtain the result I was looking for with this formula:

IF({Customer Email} !="", “Direct”, IF(FIND(“resellername”, {Reseller Email}), “Reseller Name”, “Reseller”))

Thank you so much @ScottWorld for putting me on the right track!

Glad I could help, and glad you figured it out! :slightly_smiling_face: