6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

(Edited)

Single Select=
Choice A
Choice B
Choice C
Choice D

I need to automate an email when a column updates from Choice C to Choice D, which happens the least. Typically, A to D, A to C, or A to B happens, at which point I don't need an email automated. An email notification for entering a "D" view will not suffice because I need to know that it was specifically routed to D from C. 

I typically use Zapier or Airtable automations, but I ran into a wall with this one. 

----------------------------

(Original)

Hello, 

I have a single select column titled Status. It has several choices, but I only need to know when it goes from "listed" to "sold," not when the record is updated otherwise. When it does so, I need it emailed to a certain person. I'm having a hard time with each option I've tried mainly because when it changes, it falls out of the views I have created for the automation. I turned to Zapier and Make (Integromat). Zaps were limited so I'm now working in Make. Make requires a formula, but simple statements such as If({status}, "sold") don't work because of the view. Does anyone have any ideas on how to easily email when a status changes from A to B? Thank you so much!

Single Select=
Choice A
Choice B
Choice C
Choice D

I need to automate an email when a column updates from Choice C to Choice D, which happens the least. Typically, A to D, A to C, or A to B happens, at which point I don't need an email automated. An email notification for entering a "D" view will not suffice because I need to know that it was specifically routed to D from C. 

I typically use Zapier or Airtable automations, but I ran into a wall with this one. 

----------------------------

7 Replies 7
dsolimini
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

A few options:

Make an automation, the trigger of which is "When record matches condition..." and set that condition to be Status=Sold

Alternatively, create a view that only shows Status=Solid records. Then create an automation for "When record enters view..." and select that new view.

Then you add an action to the automation to send your email. 

I dont think you need to do anything with Zapier or Make 

Thank you so much for helping. I left out a key bit of information. There are other selections in the single select. I need it to only happen when one of the selections goes to Sold, not when the other selections do. That's why I was having trouble with my normal methods. Any advice? Thanks!

Funny -- I thought that might have been what you meant!

There are probably a bunch of ways to do this, but here's one that I think should work. It's based on creating a box you check when teh first step in the process happens -- basically creating a change record. 

Steps:

• Create a new checkbox field: flag_last_status_change_was_to_C
  • Create a "When Record is Updated" automation that watches for changes to Status and then does a conditional action:
    • If Status=Option C, it checks the box in flag_last_status_change_was_to_C. 
    • If Status is Option A or B, it unchecks the box.
    • If Status=Option D, do nothing.
  • Create a second automation that looks for records that where Status=Option D and flag_last_status_change_was_to_C=true, and if so, send your email.
  • (I'd probably also create a flag_C_to_D_email_sent checkbox field and check that once the email is sent and explicitly exclude flag_C_to_D_email_sent=true from my second automation. I tend o do that kind of thing as a way of avoiding inadvertently triggering a zillion automations by mistake.)

Hope that helps!

D

Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,
to catch C > D

you have 2 options:
1) create hidden field, text or checkbox. create two automations, when record matches condition:

Select is Choice C = put '1' to hidden field
Select is none of C,D = put '0' to hidden field
then create third automation - Select is D and hidden field is 1 - that will be your main automation.
Don't forget to include step 'put "0" to hidden field' in your actions.

2)create view where Select is not Choise C, 
create automation 'when record enters view'
insert conditional group of actions, condtition must check that Select is Choise D
it will not run for A > D (for example) because record will stay in view all time. But if you change Select to Choise C, record will be filtered out. And then enter view again if you select other choice.
(pros: you need just one automation, no need to create additional hidden field.
contras: your automation must include conditional group of actions (so you cannot use repeated group in it). also, automation will react to any new record in table and if record created with Select = Choice D it will run despite Select was never Choice C. But if your new record can't be created with pre-filled Choice D, you can ignore that fact.

update: didn't see a reply from dsolimini  - yeah, I think instead of 2 or even 3 you can create a single automation triggered on Select update and conditional actions

D, 

Wow, great thinking. I set this up last night and I'll let you know how it works when the automations happen in real time. Thanks for your help. 

Robert

Thank you! I'll try this too. I appreciate you both. 

Hello, I took some tips from everyone here. Simply put, I created a "check" column. I created an automation that checked that column if 1 condition was met. Then, I created a view with the other conditions and the checked. Once something enters that view, an email is sent. Thanks again!