4662 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jon_Frampton
5 - Automation Enthusiast

If I want to specify the last day of the current month in a cell as a date, what is the syntax? In Google Sheets & MS Excel it is EOMONTH (End Of Month).

EDIT - HERE IS THE FORMULA - THANKS KAMILLE & JUSTIN

DATETIME_FORMAT(
    DATEADD(
        DATETIME_PARSE(
            DATETIME_FORMAT(
                TODAY(),
                'YYYY'
            ) & '-' &
            (VALUE(
                DATETIME_FORMAT(
                    TODAY(),
                    'MM'
                )
            )
             + 1)
             & '-01',
            'YYYY-MM-DD'
        ) , -1, 'day'
    )
    , "MM-DD-YY"
)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Christophe_Spe1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When using this formula Airtable does not seem to read this as a ‘date’ making it difficult to use the End of Month date in other formulas.

I found using the below formula to be easier and enables the use of the date in other formulas, such as findind how many days left until the end of the month.

Formula: DATEADD(DATEADD({Start Date},1,‘month’),-DAY(DATEADD({Start Date},1,‘month’)),‘days’)

If my start date is ‘01/01/2019’ then the formula will result in ‘31/01/2019’ and will pick this up in date format.

If you are wanting the start of a month, then I use this formula:
DATEADD(DATEADD({End Date},1,‘days’),-DAY({End Date}),‘days’)

Hope this is helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

See Solution in Thread

17 Replies 17

There is probable a more elegant way to do this, but you can try this formula:
DATETIME_FORMAT(DATEADD(DATETIME_FORMAT(DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),'YYYY')&'-'&DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),'MM')+1&'-01','YYYY-MM-DD'),-1,'day'),'DD')

Thank You Kamille. This provided the number 31. Which technically speaking is what I asked. I will tweak this code to return the EOMONTH as a date. So, rather than 31, it will return 03-31-2019. Thanks for taking the time to put together that formula, it’s much appreciated.

Also - note to @Airtable, please consider adding EOMONTH functionality. As you can see it is quite complicated to write this as a function.

If you remove the outer date time format portion of the formula you should get your results as a full date as opposed to just the day.

Jon_Frampton

DATEADD(DATETIME_FORMAT(DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),‘YYYY’)&’-’&DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),‘MM’)+1&’-01’,‘YYYY-MM-DD’),-1,‘day’) - resulted in: 12/30/2000

DATETIME_FORMAT(DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),‘YYYY’)&’-’&DATETIME_FORMAT(TODAY(),‘MM’)+1&’-01’,‘YYYY-MM-DD’) - resulted in 2001-01-01

So, I am not sure that we are on the same page. :- :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I messed with the formula a bit, and was able to get it working.

DATEADD(
    DATETIME_PARSE(
        DATETIME_FORMAT(
            TODAY(),
            'YYYY'
        ) & '-' &
        (VALUE(
            DATETIME_FORMAT(
                TODAY(),
                'MM'
            )
        )
         + 1)
         & '-01',
        'YYYY-MM-DD'
    ) , -1, 'day'
)

Thank You Justin. For me your formula returned 3/30/2019, which is close enough for what I am trying to do.

I still recommend to AirTable to place End of Month into the date options. Thanks Again Justin.

Sorry. I overlooked the formatting you’d requested. That’s easily addressed by wrapping DATETIME_FORMAT around the above. Here’s the full formula with that addition:

DATETIME_FORMAT(
    DATEADD(
        DATETIME_PARSE(
            DATETIME_FORMAT(
                TODAY(),
                'YYYY'
            ) & '-' &
            (VALUE(
                DATETIME_FORMAT(
                    TODAY(),
                    'MM'
                )
            )
             + 1)
             & '-01',
            'YYYY-MM-DD'
        ) , -1, 'day'
    )
    , "MM-DD-YY"
)
Christophe_Spe1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When using this formula Airtable does not seem to read this as a ‘date’ making it difficult to use the End of Month date in other formulas.

I found using the below formula to be easier and enables the use of the date in other formulas, such as findind how many days left until the end of the month.

Formula: DATEADD(DATEADD({Start Date},1,‘month’),-DAY(DATEADD({Start Date},1,‘month’)),‘days’)

If my start date is ‘01/01/2019’ then the formula will result in ‘31/01/2019’ and will pick this up in date format.

If you are wanting the start of a month, then I use this formula:
DATEADD(DATEADD({End Date},1,‘days’),-DAY({End Date}),‘days’)

Hope this is helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

Similarly, the formula I’ve been using in practice as of late is much more simple as well. Its much like the one you provided, but more general so it only requires one reference to another field:

DATEADD(DATEADD(DATETIME_FORMAT({Date in Question},'YYYY-MM-01'),1,'month'),-1,'day')

^ Nice try, Old Me. haha

paul_smith1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

this post was helpful

[

Great help, it works like magic. Thanks!

Jason_Samuels
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This was really helpful!

Patrick_Bliss

I realize this is kind of a dead thread, but wanted to share the solution I came up with. Requires no reference fields and is pretty short and elegant (I think!). Basically subtracts today’s day number from today’s date and adds a month, returning this month’s last day:

DATEADD((DATEADD(TODAY(), -DAY(TODAY()), ‘days’)), 1, ‘months’)

I’m working on a tutorial for how to recreate an EOMONTH function and this is a brilliant way to simplify it, @Kamille_Parks . I love @Patrick_Bliss 's too, although if I wasn’t the creator and stumbled across both formulas, I think it would be easier to figure out what’s going on with the DATETIME_FORMAT way of doing it.

I had no idea that you can enter numbers into a DATETIME_FORMAT function, which is really nice and useful. Having a hard time wrapping my brain around why it works. Like, when you sub in ‘01’ for ‘DD’, Airtable doesn’t actually know that you want to replace ‘DD’, because you didn’t specify that anywhere… so it’s just making an educated guess?

I actually think its ignoring the “01”. I have since learned that DATETIME_FORMAT({Date in Question},'YYYY-MM') always resolves to the first of that month. Similarly, “YYYY” would resolve to Jan 1 of that year.

So the shortest formula you could write using my method would be

DATEADD(DATEADD(DATETIME_FORMAT({Date in Question},'YYYY-MM'),1,'month'),-1,'day')

Patrick’s solution works as well. I prefer DT Format because often times people need to adjust for timezone, which you can only do if you’re using the DT Format function anyway.

That makes sense! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the perfect solution. Thanks @Kamille_Parks