cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Jameson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

I’m new to learning how to use the deeper aspects of Airtable and how to use linked records.

The problem I’m having … I have a multi-question survey, and am trying to calculate the percentage that people answered a question “yes”. However, some people skipped the question, so I need to remove these from the % calculation.

My goal is to determine what percentage of responses were “yes” from those who actually responded.

I tried by making a lookup table for each question that would only show answers yes/no (so no blank answers), and then the formula COUNTALL ({my lookup field name}) to first tell me how many responded, but I am not getting the correct answer.

Does anyone have recommendations for how to solve this?

Thank you

I

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rob,

This make much more sense now :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually since the Yes and No are linked records in the survey table, you can just make a Count field which will count all the linked records.

The formula field is basically counting the number of cells/field, which in your case is one :slightly_smiling_face: In the rollup field its counting the number of records that has a yes / no.

You do not need a lookup field, you need a linked field to use the rollup.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

hi @Rob_Jameson ,

Welcome to Airtable Community !

With the little data I have, I think what you are looking for is COUNTA() not COUNTALL()

COUNTA counts the cells that has value, COUNTALL counts all cells even if blank.

HOWEVER, since you are using a Lookup field, this means there are linked records. Why not use a Rollup field instead?

Thank you for the quick reply @Mohamed_Swellam! I appreciate it…

I had tried the COUNTA as well… the answer was not correct for some reason. I just says “1”… I am attaching screenshots… This is when I was doing it with a formula.

I then tried to use a Rollup on the new table and I was able to get the correct summary (thank you!). But I’m curious if this is what you meant to do? Is there a way to use the rollup without a lookup field? When I tried to do that in my original table, I could not select the field in the same table.

Here’s what I initially tried (incorrect):
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.40.00 AM
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.39.36 AM

Here’s using a rollup, but how can I do in my main table?
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.53.03 AM

Hi Rob,

This make much more sense now :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually since the Yes and No are linked records in the survey table, you can just make a Count field which will count all the linked records.

The formula field is basically counting the number of cells/field, which in your case is one :slightly_smiling_face: In the rollup field its counting the number of records that has a yes / no.

You do not need a lookup field, you need a linked field to use the rollup.

Fantastic… you have taught me much… Thank you @Mohamed_Swellam!

You’re welcome Rob, my pleasure !