Help

Programmatically/conditionally switch views?

Topic Labels: Formulas
924 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacktooth
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello all, I seek your advice please.
Is it possible to switch views in a linked field using a conditional statement?
Eg if colour = black, Switch to linked view filtered to black item, if colour = blue, switch view filtered to blue items?
Thank you in advance

2 Replies 2

There are some gaps missing in your description. Where is this color going to be chosen to drive the view? In the same table where the color-specific views live, or in another one?

If you’re okay with selecting the driving color in a secondary table, this can be done, though what it will do is change the contents of a single view, not programmatically switch to a predetermined view related to that chosen color. Views can only be switched manually.

To begin, create a table called something like [CTL] (short for “Control”). This table will only contain a single record, with the name being a period symbol, and the only other field being a single select with your desired color choices.

16%20PM

In the table where you have your main items, you’re probably starting with something like this:

10%20PM

Add a link field targeting the [CTL] table, and fill all records with a link to that lone “.” record (hint: make the first link manually, then drag-fill the rest).

19%20PM

Add a lookup field using those links to pull the value of the {Color} field from the [CTL] table.

03%20PM

36%20PM

Add a formula field named {Match} to your main table using this formula:

IF({Selected Color} = Color, "✅")

16%20PM

Now add a filter to the view that only shows records where {Match?} is not empty, which leaves you with this:

22%20PM

Change the color in the [CTL] table, and the displayed records automatically update in the main table to match the selected color:

31%20PM

36%20PM

Hide the helper fields in the main table and you’re done.

Blacktooth

Thank you. Let me work through this and see if it does what I need. It may take me a couple of days as I have a priority list with a timeline! Thank you.