cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crispin_Giles
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey all

I have a table where I have many hidden fields. I want to have a field only visible if a certain condition is true. Is there some kind of IF statement functionality that can conditionally toggle between showing/hiding the field if certain conditions are true?

Thanks
C

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Crispin_Giles!

Conditional hiding & showing of fields is only possible on a form, and then when the user submits that form, a new record will be created in your table.

Otherwise, if you’re not looking to create new records via a form, you would need to manually create different views where each view would be manually set by you to have its own set of hidden fields. And then you would manually need to switch back & forth between those views to see the set of fields that are on each view.

However, there are 2 external apps that offer this functionality natively: Fillout and Noloco. Both of these apps communicate with Airtable in real-time, and they both offer exactly what you’re looking for.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

And I give a brief demo of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast.

Alternatively, if you just want to use a generic form tool like JotForm, you could do the same thing there and then send your data to Airtable using Make’s JotForm integrations and Make’s Airtable integrations.

There is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help.

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. If not, please let me know what else you need help with! 🙂

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Crispin_Giles!

Conditional hiding & showing of fields is only possible on a form, and then when the user submits that form, a new record will be created in your table.

Otherwise, if you’re not looking to create new records via a form, you would need to manually create different views where each view would be manually set by you to have its own set of hidden fields. And then you would manually need to switch back & forth between those views to see the set of fields that are on each view.

However, there are 2 external apps that offer this functionality natively: Fillout and Noloco. Both of these apps communicate with Airtable in real-time, and they both offer exactly what you’re looking for.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

And I give a brief demo of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast.

Alternatively, if you just want to use a generic form tool like JotForm, you could do the same thing there and then send your data to Airtable using Make’s JotForm integrations and Make’s Airtable integrations.

There is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help.

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. If not, please let me know what else you need help with! 🙂

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

mmmm

hey this is MAJORLY needed to look at: major feature issue for not only share view but also interface designer!!!

you need to allow for the feature show only "current user" to be applicable to fields and or views. 

e.g. if i add a grid to an interface:
option1: show only view assigned to current viewer (best option)
option2: show only records by current viewer AND show only FIELDs for current user 

two ways to get the same thing. option one can mean only 1 time assign a user to a view -- OK --- or offer gird view options available to current user. best option: control permissions of which views (that the current user can see) you want available to that current user in that specific interface element)

you basically have the feature (see pics) but you did it for edit record permissions, specific filters. just make this for VIEWING permissions, by a view, with control on selected total views available in element. 

Rive
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

With Kanban behaviors like collapsing there are controllers for field configuration, And filter conditions in the UI interface that hide columns in other views like grids.  How is the feature missing for Kanban views? 

This would be a huge help to our organization to avoid duplication of tickets for tracking of tasks that go through a long pipeline process (40-60 stages).  We have clear disciplines working on only a section of the process.  Complexity of ticket field population.  And encourage multiple disciplines beyond production to utilize Airtable. 

Our options are to either use multiple grouping fields for small view kanbans which cause a lot of empty fields and ticket entry complexity. Or duplication of tickets, where notes and history are lost for fast review.

OfficeOurs
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Use Grid like a kanban!

Like @ScottWorld said, the solution here is to create many views with the appropriate hidden fields.

But you don't need to "manually" switch between them, you can make a next button that dynamically brings you to the next step (view) with the record already open.

IF({Onboarding Stage} = "1 - Client Info", IF(Service_type = "Workstation", "https://airtable.com/appBVZT7eTAiepPPu/tblr1h1OIqnW4JEui/viwdnipbPFUy78Len/"&RECORD_ID(), IF(Service_type = "Combo", "https://airtable.com/appBVZT7eTAiepPPu/tblr1h1OIqnW4JEui/viw5Smqwh1pgHJtR7"&RECORD_ID(), IF(Service_type = "Babysitting", "https://airtable.com/appBVZT7eTAiepPPu/tblr1h1OIqnW4JEui/viwLQirtl3CLJL7rE"&RECORD_ID()))),
  IF({Onboarding Stage} = "2 - Contract", "https://airtable.com/appBVZT7eTAiepPPu/tblr1h1OIqnW4JEui/viw3G2bvJB2D5HsnB/"&RECORD_ID()))

@Yaron_Avramov can you mark this as a solution?

DougL
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like they have since added the functionality in Interface Builder, but you have to be on the Business plan to use it. Shame on you AirTable! Please allow this necessary functionality on the Team plan.

DougL_1-1707078601880.png