Help

Synced tables: Reference table-names per record & executing scripts in source table from destination

894 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JLindem
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all,

Some context: I have multiple bases with a list of tags that can be associated with records in other tables through a linked record field. If the users cannot find the tag they need, they can enter it as a new tag, but due to view permissions, any new tags created by these users will be given the status "requested" from a single select field. The single-select field can only be changed by an admin through a script triggered by a button, effectively "approving" the request. 

Since these admins will be handling requests from many various bases, I wish to create a common location for all of the requests, so they don't have to switch between bases to approve/deny requests. I first tried to accomplish this with an interface, but since the scripts don't work in the interfaces, this won't work. I then thought to go for a simpler solution: creating a synced table in a "master-base" with multiple source tables, listing the "requests". 

However:

1. I need to indicate which source table the record is synced from in a field in the record so the approver has context for the tag. How can I reference the table name? Is there a way to do this through a formula field similar to record_ID()? 
  2. The buttons triggering the scripts in the source tables cannot be triggered from the destination table. Is there a workaround for this anyone has found? Can I trigger a script that works across bases? If so, I imagine step 1 is dependent on this as I would need to know the table name or ID to define the variable ${table.name} in the script. 

Appreciate any input/workaround/ideas you may have on this!

1 Reply 1

> I need to indicate which source table the record is synced from in a field in the record so the approver has context for the tag. How can I reference the table name? Is there a way to do this through a formula field similar to record_ID()? 

When you do multi source syncing, a new field gets created with the name of the view and so I usually just rename the view to whatever name I need it to be and that works for me.  I don't think you can reference the table name via a formula field, no

> The buttons triggering the scripts in the source tables cannot be triggered from the destination table. Is there a workaround for this anyone has found? Can I trigger a script that works across bases? If so, I imagine step 1 is dependent on this as I would need to know the table name or ID to define the variable ${table.name} in the script. 

The webhook trigger might do what you need to here?