cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenneth_Raghuna
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Here's the system:

Base A: Used for Project Management for an event in January.

Interface A: Created on top of Base A for use by other members on the team where data access needs to be considered.

Base B: Use for Project Management for an event in February. It is created by Duplicating Base A after the completion of January's event, so that the base undergoes an iterative design process, benefiting from the additions/improvements made to the base during the last event.

What I'd Like to Do: Upon creation of Base B by duplicating Base A, create Interface B that is a duplicate of Interface A.

I am aware that Airtable does not support duplicating Interfaces to other bases for fear that the underlying data structure will be different (on Airtable's end, I imagine that at the least they should be able to offer the option to duplicate the interface associated with the base at the time that the base is duplicated).

Has anyone else found a way to work around this? Re-creating the interface every time is the obvious solution, but it is time consuming and breaks my "if you do the same thing more than twice, automate it" rule.

I can acknowledge that in simpler use-cases, changing the base design itself to handle multiple events would work. In this case though, that would require a pretty tremendous overhaul, make the base difficult to use for any given event, and result in the base growing to a fairly massive size within a few events.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a working feature. If Base A has an interface and you duplicate the base, you will get the interfaces as well.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a working feature. If Base A has an interface and you duplicate the base, you will get the interfaces as well.

I cannot believe that I did not see this when I tried earlier. Thank you @Dan_Montoya !

Could you confirm that the person duplicating the base is a collaborator, and is duplicating it while within the base itself and not a shared base link?

Specifically, that they are duplicating it when the page looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.46.02 AM.png

And not like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.46.08 AM.png