1299 9
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_Mittelman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Pretty new to AirTable.  Trying to build simple base to keep track of group members.

I have a Members table, a Groups table and a Group Members table. This last is a join table with a column for Group, a column for Member and other columns that aren't related to this issue. The Group Members table also has a Name column which is the primary key.  It is a formula which is basically Group Name & "-" & Member Name.

I'm building an interface to show the Groups table. It has a list of groups that I can pick from, and the proper record shows in the interface when I do this.

I added a grid which is bound to the Group Members table. It shows the proper fields, but is not being filtered by the particular group I have showing in this interface.  I expect it to only show the group members associated with this group.  The filtering options are good, but require a hard-coded filter.  Instead of that, I want the grid automatically filtered to show member records from the group being displayed.  Any help on this?  Thanks...

9 Replies 9

Hmm could you provide access to an example base or some screenshots of your tables and interface setup?  Finding it hard to visualize your setup and what you'd like it to display

If it helps, the following was created with a "Record Picker" element with the source being the "Groups" table, and a "Grid" element with the source being said "Record Picker" element

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 12.57.16 PM.png

Link to base

Thanks Adam,

The Members table lists members as expected. The Groups table lists groups, also as expected.

The Group Membership table is a join table which has a column for the group and another column for the member.  Also other columns not pertinent to the question.  If I'm in group A and B, and you are in B only, the join table should have these records
Ron     A
Ron     B
Adam  B

Screenshot 2023-05-28 115349.png

Ron_Mittelman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Only 1 name should be in the grid for each group displaying in the interface.  The grid, based on the join table, should refresh when a different group is showing in the interface.  Any idea how to make this happen?

In Access, if you put a sub-form in a parent form, the relationship is automatically updated if you change records.  How can I force the grid to be filtered by the group that is showing?  Thanks...

I read articles about how to add a filter or condition to the grid, but it requires you to choose a specific group rather than being automatically filtered when the interface shows another group.

Hm, is your "Grid" element tied to the record selected in your "Record Review" interface?  If it is, and you're displaying the "Group Members" table, then that should be working just fine:

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 1.17.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 1.28.22 PM.png

If you're still facing issues, could you provide access to an example base so that I can take a look?

Well, I am displaying the group members table in that grid.  But I'm too new at this to know what you mean by "tied to".  In Access, I would provide a linking field which would automatically filter the grid by the "parent" record being displayed in the interface.  If that's what you mean by "tied to", I'm in.  Could you please advise how to do that?  I couldn't find anything like that in the edit screen for this interface.  There's a source for the grid, but I don't think I want to change that.  There is various permissions and filtering options, but they all end up pointing to a list of groups that I have to select from for the filter.  I need something dynamic so when I display a different group, the grid refreshes and displays that group only.  How can I do that?

Not sure how to share the base.  Is it a file, or do I provide a link to it?  Is the base actually stored online or on my PC?  Thanks...

Hmm, if you'd be open to it let's do a quick (free) call to resolve this; you can select a time that works for you here

I think that we're using different words for the same things and it might take a long time for us to figure this out via text, and that we'd be able to solve this really quickly via a screen share

Here's some documentation on how to invite me to your base

Hi Adam,

Please see screen shot below.  Specifically the section labelled "ABC".  This is actually a link to the Portfolio table.  I'm trying to add other fields there.  In that table I have Registrar, phone, email & address, and also VP, phone & email.  But in the interface, when I put in that field (ABC from Portfolio), I only see Registrar & Registrar phone.  Is there an easy way to select which fields can appear there? I'd like to also see Registrar email & VP info also.  Thanks!

Ron_Mittelman_0-1686173979129.png

Never mind, I figured out how to do that.  But the email field is truncated, even though I made this element wide. Any way to fix that?

Ron_Mittelman_1-1686174705440.png

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid, I think those are just preset widths