Help

How to allow interface users to link a record AND/OR add a new linked record?

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
737 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davidt
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have an interface with a Field of the "Linked to another record" type. I want users to be able to either add or remove a connection to an existing record, OR to add a new linked record. I can set the field to allow these two things independently:

Davidt_1-1690290398591.png

However, in the interface both of these things don't work. If I allow for both, users can only remove the connection or add a connection to an existing record. However there is no way to add a new linked record. If i disallow the "Allow users to link/unlink", then users CAN add a new linked record. I want both of these things to be possible, as the interface field settings seem to imply.

Am I missing something?

Davidt_0-1690290134432.png

2 Replies 2

Hmm, after we click "Add person", is there a "Create a new record" button at the top right? 

Screen Recording 2023-07-25 at 9.56.14 PM.gif

wkidger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think I have the same issue as @Davidt (but sorry if I've misunderstood and hijacked your thread). I have a view of 'orders' (which are linked to my 'companies' table). When a user creates a new order, I want them to be able to select an existing company **or** to be able to create a new one, but the option simply isn't there and there doesn't seem to be an option to enable it in the settings for the field.

CleanShot 2023-07-25 at 19.27.46.gif

CleanShot 2023-07-25 at 19.31.00@2x.png

This seems a fairly straightforward requirement? Basically nested 'create new' forms - is it not possible or am I missing something?