35 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CtelleNash
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I've created a table where I have a multiselect field, and then grouped the data by that field.

The effect in my table is that each unique combination of selected fields from the multiselect column has it's own group. So for example, if one record has "A" in that field, and another has "A" and "B", I have one group that JUST has the record with "A", and separate group for the records that have ONLY BOTH "A" and "B" (so the first record with ONLY "A" is not included in that group).

I know some people don't like this but I actually want it this way - and what's frustrating is that now when I'm creating a List Interface, it works the opposite! So my list of records is grouped in the interface by that same multiselect field, but now the records are duplicated across groups.

So, the record with only "A" is showing up in the group that is labeled "A" only, AND in the group that is labeled for both "A" and "B".

Is there a setting I'm missing to get the list view to behave the same as my table, or is the idea to basically just USE the table view instead? I thought having this view specifically as an interface would be better for sharing, but I do understand if the feature was made to fulfill the needs of those who wanted them duplicated.

If that's the case here, perhaps there could be an interface setting that would allow the user to specify how they want the grouping to behave.

1 Reply 1

Oh wow yeah.  Grouping appears to duplicate the records in both the Interface List and Interface Grid and I couldn't find a setting to change this either

The normal Grid view works as you want, but the normal List view duplicates it too:

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 10.35.41 AM.png

Might want to open a support ticket with Airtable directly to see what they say

---
As a workaround perhaps you could create a formula field that outputs the value of the multiple select and grouping by that?  You'd lose the colorful option **bleep** though but at least it'd group the way you want.  You could also manually create each combination as an option too but I don't know how feasible that is