424 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any mechanism which can be used to allow only some records within a list view to be editable? I would like my team to be able to edit records until they are marked as complete, after which editing should no longer be allowed. I'd also like to be able to show the completed records in the same view, so work arounds such as using different views (which is what we are doing currently) make our workflow less easy to follow.

3 Replies 3

I'm afraid not.  You'd need to use some sort of third party tool for that I think

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@ChrisB 

Airtable doesn’t offer record-level editing permissions based on field values.

Airtable DOES have record-level VIEWING & EDITING permissions combined, but that’s based on a user and not based on a field value. This is managed through Airtable’s interfaces.

Noloco offers the most advanced external interfaces for Airtable with record-level and field-level permissions, but their permissions are also based on users, not field values. That would prevent you from having conditional editing on a list view.

However, with Noloco, you can restrict the user to only editing a record after clicking on an action button. And then, if you only allow records to be edited in your app via Action buttons, you can conditionally hide that action button based on record conditions.

So your action button to edit the record can be shown or hidden based on field values in each record.

Otherwise, if you need to have record-level editing permissions inline in a list view based on field values (or users or a combination of both), you would need to turn to a more advanced database app where record-level editing permissions is built into every layer of the product from the ground up.

The best tool that natively offers this feature is FileMaker. I used to be a FileMaker Developer for almost 30 years before becoming an Airtable consultant. Feel free to reach out to me through my website if you’d like me to turn you onto some excellent FileMaker developers. 

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChrisB You can do this if you are willing to use 2 interfaces.

Interface 1 -Editor

In your list filter, set your condition "Status Not equal to complete"

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 7.00.26 AM.png

In the picture I have a 2nd filter that only certain people are allowed to edit it when it isn't complete.  When a project is changed to complete, the filter will remove the record from this view.  Set the permissions in this interface to edit inline ok.

Interface 2 - Viewer 

In this interface you remove the "is not complete" filter and make this interface read only.

The last record is on TrackThe last record is on TrackChanging it to complete removes it from the editor viewChanging it to complete removes it from the editor viewHere is the view only interface.Here is the view only interface.