Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Reverse Nested Linked Records

Topic Labels: Views
531 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b56928
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I have a table of projects which is being imported in. Each project has a project ID column, and a Project Parent ID column, since there are sub projects. I want to simply create a list which shows each parent project, followed by all of the sub projects. 

Nested Linked Records seems to only allow me to do this in reverse. Is there any other way I can do it. I can't really change the structure of the data, since it's being imported in from an API.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Ade345
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@b56928  hello you can try this out

Since you can't change the structure of the data being imported from the API, you'll need to find a way to display the parent-child project relationships in Airtable without using nested linked records. One solution is to create a custom view that concatenates the parent project name and child project name into a single field. 

Here's how you can do it:

1. Create a new view for your Projects table.
  2. Add a new field to the view. You can name it something like "Parent - Child Project".
  3. Set the field type to Formula.
  4. In the formula editor, use the CONCATENATE() function to combine the parent project name and child project name, separated by a dash or other character:

CONCATENATE({Project Name}, " - ", {Project Parent Name})

Make sure to replace {Project Name} with the actual name of your "Project Name" field, and {Project Parent Name} with the actual name of your "Project Parent Name" field.

1. Save the formula field.

Now, in your new view, you'll see a single field that displays the parent project followed by the child project, separated by a dash or whatever character you used. The view will look like:

• Project A - Sub Project 1
  • Project A - Sub Project 2
  • Project B - Sub Project 1
  • Project B - Sub Project 2

This allows you to easily see the parent-child relationships without using nested linked records.

Hmm, try:
1. Create a table called "Parents" and link it to your imported table
2. In your imported table, click the field header of the "Project ID" field, selecting the entire column
3. Hit CMD / CTRL + C
4. In your imported table, click the field header of the linked field to the "Parents" table
5. Hit CMD / CTRL + V

You should now be able to use a List view to see the data the way you want:

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 10.48.29 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 10.48.07 AM.png

Link to base