Help

When working with interfaces, is it possible to manually sort a list? Dragging doesn't work.

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
1105 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Touit
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

6 Replies 6
ProsperSpark
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

That's an excellent question! Sorting lists in Airtable interfaces can be approached differently depending on how your interface is set up. Here's the breakdown:

1. Using the "List" Interface Template:
If you've created your interface using the "List" template, you're in luck. Users can indeed manually sort and filter the list as needed. You'll find a convenient "Sort" button located in the upper right corner of the interface. This allows users to customize the list's display order as they see fit.

ProsperSpark_0-1698436383146.png

2. Custom/blank Interfaces with Lists:
In the case of adding a list to a custom or blank interface page, things work a bit differently. Users won't have the ability to manually sort the list themselves. The ability to modify sorting parameters is limited to interface editors, which means you'll need to set up and adjust the sort order yourself.

If you have any specific questions about setting up sorting parameters for custom interfaces or need further assistance, feel free to ask, and we'll be happy to help! www.prosperspark.com 

Thanks, but this does not answer my question. I’m looking for manual sorting. So, just like outside of interfaces, dragging records by hand to sort them manually. Is there such option within interfaces as well?

DavidW
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey @Touit 

This feature is now available as part of the Visualization Enhancements we released yesterday.

To enable this for your list view, open up the "Sort By" menu in the properties panel for the element and select a "Manual sort field" to use (red rectangle). The option highlighted with the blue rectangle allows you to make a field to use to enable this sorting functionality. Please also make sure that the permission setting "Edit records inline" is enabled on the element.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 2.46.03 PM.png

After that setup, you should be able to drag and drop items to your liking in your List element. 

Please give it a shot and let me know any feedback you have about it!

elbabar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

After 30mins can't find for the life of me where this option is. I'm on a list view and can't find the manual sort option as described above. Upgraded from Team to Business just in case it was a Business only feature, but still can't find it. Any tip? I'm trying it on a simple list view (not grid)

elbabar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

here's what I see when clicking on "sort by":

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 6.28.44 PM.png

Hi @elbabar ,

This feature is currently only available to Lists in Interfaces, not within the "Data" tab.

I'll also note the feedback on our end to consider trying to bring it to the "Data" tab in the future!