877 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Jackson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Per a helpful recommendation from @Justin_Barrett, I’m interested to find help with the following problem. I have a base of companies and another base of investors, linking the two so one can see the investments of an investor and the investors in a company. I’d like to be able to upload a new csv that has another list of companies and their investors. Inevitably, these new lists might include some new investors in a particular company, but also not be exhaustive, so I’d like to be able to just add the new investors to the company, not overwrite the previous list.

Eg. If Company in my database currently has investment from Investor A and Investor B, and I import a list that says the company has investment from Investor A and Investor C, I’d like the result to show that the company has investment from Investor A, Investor B, and Investor C.

Here’s the thread with Jason describing the potential project - any thoughts on folks who could help?

5 Replies 5
Ronen_Babayoff
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey Mike, as suggested by Justin in your initial topic, this can be done with a simple reusable script. Feel free to contact me privately. Turnaround should be less than a day.

Best,
Ronen Babayoff
Superblocks.at

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I’d be happy to discuss some ideas with you, as well as getting a better understanding of how the Airtable will be an asset to your team and business. As a full time freelancer based in the U.S., I am very familiar with Airtable, Web Design, Zapier / Automations, Digital marketing and other online software.

Once we’ve discussed your vision and goals, I can then provide you an accurate price and timeframe to get the project started!

Schedule a free phone consultation via this link: www.wisedesign.co/schedule

To learn a little more about myself, please visit my website: www.wisedesign.co

If you’d like to connect with me on LinkedIn, please do so here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eckline/

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Eric

Hi Mike, interesting challenge. I’m not pitching a solution; rather just thinking about the relationships between companies and investors because relationship binding is a useful learning topic for all Airtable users and applications.

I think this is good advice at the core of this challenge. I’ve often written about CSV imports and the typically flawed expectation that the data will magically organize itself and ingesting new data is a simple button click. This is rarely the case and using a custom Script Block to add the level of intelligence required to sanitize and normalize the content is crucial to a problem like this. It also offers you the ability to enhance the inflow of new data shaping it in flight rather than using formula fields and other adjustments that only add complexity to the process. You want your ingest process to be elegant and able to function when developers are not in the room.

Perhaps a Little Much :winking_face:

… but I’ll toss it out there anyway.

Visualizing relationships in a grid is often difficult. Airtable’s grouping and roll-up features are generally helpful, but even these views may leave you without the ability to discover things about your data that aren’t so obvious. If you anticipate only simple A -> B relationships, save yourself some time and stop reading any further. :winking_face:

Your goal sounds like it might benefit from a data visualization; not a chart or graph, but a concept known as edge-bundling. You basically re-interpret the grid data to interactively visualize the connected “tissue” between the companies and investors. In a solution like this, you can take it to any depth with a little data model planning. For example, subclasses of investments in tech, aerospace, logistics - could be exposed by simply running the cursor over class or subclass of interest and all the relationship lines will magically light up. Adding links to the discrete records in Airtable is a simple step that could provide an advantage as you browse for opportunities.

Vega-Lite Block

The edge-bundle shown above is currently not possible in the recently added Vega-lite Block, however many other data visualizations are possible as evidenced by these examples. Rather, this example is Vega (heavy) but every bit as compatible with Airtable data using the API or a script block to drive a web-based chart.

Good luck on your project and looking forward to seeing a snapshot of the solution.

Carter_W
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi There,

I hope you’re keeping great!

I would be happy to work with you. Please give me a suitable time to discuss your requirements.

Also, add me over Skype id- live:carter_1594 or Email- carter@cisinlabs.com

I look forward to your response!

Stay Well :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!
Carter W

Andrew_Johnson1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Mike,
If you are still on the lookout for some help, feel free to reach out to me as what you are wanting is well within my skill set.
You can reach me on andrewjohnson56782@gmail.com
Best Wishes,
Andrew