Help

Re: 1st table has customer name (primary) and city information, I need 2nd table to sync the city data into primary column

756 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Konrad_Koczwara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Basically, here is my problem.

I synced an airtable view to help manage our service providers all over the country. The view contains customer name & city information. Table 1 is synced, so the information is not editable in primary field.

Table 1: Primary field is customer name and there are secondary fields for CITY that are also synced from the original Base.
Table 2: I need to pull CITY into the primary field for table two and I need it to automatically update whe

When onboarding new service providers, I would like to be able to select a “CITY” from a lookup field that corresponds to our “CUSTOMER”.
Table 3: Service Provider name & CITY (lookup from Table 1).

However, I am having a hard time doing that because every-time I try to look up it keeps showing me the “CUSTOMER NAME” and it does not allow me to select the CITY as an option.

I have mutliple customers that are in the same city, so I am simply trying to have an easy way to look up which service providers work / are assigned in each city.

If I would be able to somehow sync the CITY Name into primary field in Table 2, I think I can probably make it happen, because then I can LOOKUP table 2 information and it would show me the CITY name, versus CUSTOMER NAME as it currently keeps showing me in Table 1.

Any help would be appreciated

5 Replies 5

Hmm, I think if I was you I would:

1. Create a linked field in Table 1 to Table 2
  2. Create an automation that would, when a record gets created in Table 1, paste the City field’s value into said linked field

This would ensure that Table 2 would have all the cities that your customers are in

You could then use a linked field to Table 2 whenever you needed a list of cities, and could also do the lookup / rollup in Table 2 to see the list of service providers in that city

(I’m not entirely sure whether I know what we’re trying to do though, so let me know if my suggestion is off somewhere)

Konrad_Koczwara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Adam,

I think I know where you are going with this.
How would you handle duplicates getting added to Table 1 (Customer name + city).
It would most likely add multiple rows of the same city.

Let’s just say I have 250 customers but only 30 different cities. How would I get those 30 unique cities over to table 2 from Table 1 into the primary field column?

With the setup I mentioned above, Table 2 would only have 30 records, each of them unique as, if a record with the same value already exists in Table 2, the record from Table 1 gets linked to it instead of creating a new record in Table 2

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 2.26.27 PM

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 2.26.32 PM

(Hahah I’m still not sure what we’re trying to do here so I have no idea whether I’m even answering your question)

Konrad_Koczwara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Adam,

Appreciate all of the help. I am having trouble doing this however.

Here’s what I have in table 1

Table 2:
I set up a formula to concencate “City - State” into column 1.

Now, I’ve tried to do an automation or copy and paste existing “city values” from table 1 into the “City Linked Field” in Table 1 but I get an error.

Can you clarify how exactly you were able to get 1 unique value of each city into table 2? I am confused! haha

Thank you

Hmm, I’ve built something for you here. Do check it out and see whether it helps!

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 1.25.17 PM

I think the issue you’re facing might be due to the primary field of the Locations table being a formula field actually?

To get around it, perhaps you put the city and state information together into one field in the Customers and Service Providers tables and paste it into the linked field from there?