4872 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_N
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am stumped in how to add hours to a field.

I want to take “Start Time” and add 16 hours. Some example:

Start Time 06:00 result would be 22:00 or 10PM
Start Time 19:00 (7:00PM) result would be 11:00 AM

if I have 14:00 + 16 hours, the answer

Start Time is defined as a Duration - but maybe that is not right.

Thank you in advance to the incredible and generous community minds…

13 Replies 13
CSED

Hi Neil,

Did you ever find a way to do what you are asking in this post? I am trying to do almost exactly what you describe but to build a step by step facilitation guide where the variable is the duration of each step in an activity. It is more complicated than the DATEADD as I’d like to use the duration field (which will vary at each step) to drive the updated time for the next step to start.

Thanks
Ann

Welcome to the community, CSED! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

This is actually easier than you might think. The key is remembering that Airtable stores the data for duration fields in terms of seconds, even though it may be formatted as h:mm (by default). When building your formulas to calculate travel or activity times, you will use the “seconds” option in the DATEADD function.

Here’s a quick sample I built:

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 8.27.11 AM.png

The only date field is {Depart Meeting Place}, and the GMT switch is active. From there on it’s just duration and formula fields. The formula for {Arrive Location 1} looks like this, with the others being very similar (only changing field names):

DATEADD({Depart Meeting Place}, {Travel Time 1}, "seconds")
CSED

Thank you so much Justin! This worked really well.

Hi Ann. Apologies for delayed reply. I gave up on using my beloved airtable. I spent so much time with them which, so far, failed to produce the outcome which I was hoping for.

I’m in the San Francisco Bay area and have spent time with them one on one. I am very impressed with everything they’ve created. I’ll probably revisit their product and services at some point in the future.

In the meantime I got support from the Google forums and a couple of sheets geniuses who helped me better understand the mathematical formulas I needed for my itinerary project.

I don’t know much about the bigger and higher level project which you’re working on. I’m also a little bit confused with some of the language that you are using. I’m sure it makes perfect sense. It’s just me lacking understanding.

If you’re interested in having a closer look at what I have created, let me know. I’d love to share it with you. I’d be happy to continue this conversation and support her as best I can.
Can you say a little bit more about what you’re working on it. And if you’re willing and able, I share your work in progress. Knowing what I know now, I might be able to provide some insight.

I look forward to hearing from you
Cordially,

Neil