2592 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grant_Dailey
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello all, I would love some advice on a function I am experimenting with. I’m trying to build a system where I can generate student progress reports for a private high school by leveraging linked records and the “Pages” block.

In my experiment I have three tables: Student List, Course List, Grades (see below).

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.23.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.23.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.23.03 PM.png

The Student List is linked to the Course List. I can “enroll” students in courses with the linked record, which allows me to display their courses on a “Page” block, which will generate progress reports (below).

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.26.47 PM.png

The tricky part comes in with GRADES. In my third table I have student grades, where a teacher could input grades using a form. The “Course List” field is linked to the course list table (so teachers can select the course), and the “Student Name” is linked to the Student table (so teachers can select the student). The grade is the catch. If I lookup grades in any other table, it displays grades for ALL linked records in the class.

What I’d really like is a linked record that pulls in the grade contingent upon the Course it is assigned to (so I can put it in the linked record table in the block, which is AWESOME, Airtable!) In the image below, you can see that my record linking pulls in ALL grades for the linked course, irrespective the student name (below)

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.31.20 PM.png

Any suggestions out there?!

4 Replies 4
Zack_Schwartz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Wild guess here, haven’t put much thought into it, but what if you created a new View in the Grades table that did a Group By Student and then did the Page Designer based off that?

The only place where you have grades one by one is the Grades table, so you have to add that Linked Record field table to the Page (not de Courses one), and of course add the Teacher data as a Lookup field to the Grades table. You want this?

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-26_11-41-23_a. m..png

Even more, the Courses enrolled should come from the Grades table (I’d call it something like Coursing, Learnings, …). Now you have 2 different sources for this student-course relation:

• Courses field in Students table: the courses they are enrolled
  • Courses field in Grades list: the course that the grade is for, related to an specific student

This is correct if the ‘enrollment’ is not related with the grading, but if not, it should be just one relation (in the Grades/Studing/Learnings/Enrollments/whatever table).

My tables:

b8e2877a58cea6ffd77015c66e610189904c0caa.png

a14b449286a3618b3a42af1fbd60f86872646494.png

62c69fdbb65aa9a0cf3215bb1f7a0c1a4e3b0445.png

Elias,

Thank you for the explanation. I was missing that little link, pulling the information from my Students table rather than the Grades table. That did what I needed it to!

Helene1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I know this is an old post but looking for a similar solution. Is there someone who could assist me? 🙂