1020 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tiberius
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Since today, our Airtable base has become extremely slow and is always being delayed by the attached message. We haven’t really changed much from yesterday/last week. It seems like Airtable has changed their loading behavior of views. It’s true, our base is large but it hasn’t changed much in size recently. Still, Airtable is hitting us with this kind of throttling. Anyone else experiencing it? Temporary issue?

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 11.54.17

3 Replies 3

I assure you, Airtable is not hitting you with some sort of throttling algorithm. And it’s also unlikely to be any sort of issue at Airtable that is causing the sluggish performance. What is far more likely are the following attributes that are triggering performance degradation.

1. Lots of plugin apps and dashboards that your users lean on heavily to do their work.
  2. Lots of automation, and especially those that involve script actions and more especially if they are poorly-designed scripts or fail to follow recommended best practices.
  3. Lots of users on the same base.
  4. Lots of fields and especially formula fields and more especially if those formulas fail ungracefully from time-to-time.
  5. Lots of API activity on the base.
  6. Lots of records in the tables of the base.
  7. Lots of synced tables.

Yes, and in every case where I have seen poor performance, one or more - in some cases all seven - of these unfavorable attributes have existed.

Unlikely.

But this is to confirm that you have changed something, right? If so, best to begin by examining all of the points above and especially the number of records in context to the number of computed fields.

It seems strange to me that all the problematic attributes you listed as triggers for poor performance are also features that have been promoted as benefits of using Airtable. Is this to say, the more you lean into Airtable, the worse it will work for you? 😕

Gatlinburg_Moun
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is something new - I am using my base the same way it was before, but something has changed over the last month or two. It loads very slowly (and I have blazing-fast internet - so don't blame that).