Help

Re: Can you move a table to a different base?

16693 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie_Odita
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello:
Can you move a table to a different base?

Thanks
Julie

19 Replies 19

There’s no way to directly move a table to another base. But you can always copy a table to another base. There are a couple ways to do this.

1. Export the table as a CSV, and then create new table in the target base via CSV upload

2. Select the entire table (ctrl / cmd + A) and copy it (ctrl / cmd + C), then paste it (ctrl / cmd + V) into a new table in the target base

In both instances, however, you will have to re-create the Field Types for certain types of fields, such as Formulas, Linked Records, Lookups, etc…

Jeremy:

Thanks for your response. I did end up doing option #2 last night, and recognized the limitation on the field types. It was still certainly better than re-keying all of that information.

Regards
Julie

Elias:

Appreciate the references. It appears that this has come up before by another user.
Thanks
Julie

Dean_Arnold
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi all, I just did the copy table, paste method as suggested by OP. You no longer need to reselect all the field types. If you have data in the table you don’t need to re-add the value lists either!

You’re a lifesaver. I had so many files to transfer, and this was seamless

Thanks for this. I would like to move all the data from one table to a table in another base so that the forms on the target table refer to the newly migrated data. Is that possible? It’s sort of like a dev to prod migration: I have a table in a base we have to retire and I’ve created a copy with a form view in a new base. I now want to move the data from the original table to the new table that has a form view.
Should I delete all the records in the target table and then paste in all the records from the original? Will that do it?

@Laurence_Berg
I think it should do work just fine, if your new base matches the structure of the old base.

You can always make a copy of your new base and test this first.

Thanks. I may have answered my own question as I was asking it.
What I’m doing is building a new production version with new features like the form view. So, I made a copy of the original and then started added stuff. The plan was to copy the original into the new base as a new table until I realized that the new form would not be linked to the even newer table. But, if i just replace the data in the new table, the form should still function as it does in the development mode.

I have a complication! In my new version, I have added new fields. Is there a best practice for this situation? I haven’t done a csv import before. Is it possible to align fields between the csv and an existing table in AT?

I would use the brand new Sync feature, which will bring your table from another base into the current base. Then, you can disable syncing, and all the data will remain.

Interesting idea. But I’ve already got a form view I’ve built in a new copy and I’ve already added fields to my new copy, and syncing creates a new table which I’d have to add all the new fields to and for which I’d have to recreate the form for. I wish I’d known about this idea before I started!
So, now I’m looking for an easy way to move the current data into the new base.

Then I would just export and import.

If you need something more complex, you can always automate the process of moving data from one base to another with Integromat.

Thanks for the ideas and advice.

Super helpful just saved me hours of work for me or my VA!

MAB941009
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

“Hi all, I just did the copy table, paste method as suggested by OP. You no longer need to reselect all the field types. If you have data in the table you don’t need to re-add the value lists either!”

I want to echo and ellucidate @Dean_Arnold’s comment above.

For moving tables across bases, the best workflow is:

1. Press CTRL + A and CTRL + C on the desired table
  2. At your desired base, in a new table press CTRL + V

Note that for Airtable tables, you needn’t utilise any of the import functions. When you import via Copy & Paste you lose the field type attributes.

sandy_mohan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all - this does not carry over the comments and chat from the table. Any suggestion how to also carry that over?

Mike_Sweat
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The best answer can be found here: How to move one table with all the views to another base?

The short answer is to “share view”!!!

agreed, especially as they’ve kept it free unexpectedly: