2350 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathans
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ve read through a number of posts on how to set up attendance tracking, and I haven’t found exactly the solution I’m hoping I can build.

What seems to make sense to me is something like this:

Student Table:
Unique Student ID# | Student Name | Sessions Attended

Course Sessions Table:
Date of each class meeting | Topic | Assignment | Students who attend

Attendance Table:
Date/time stamp (collected on student entering class) | Student ID

Eventually, I’d like to be able to have them scan a QR code as they enter, but I don’t mind working manually for a while. I mention that just so you won’t think I’m too obsessive for collecting the date/time.

I need to be able to record whether each student was On Time (including early), Late, or Absent. It seems to me like I could setup a calculation in the Session table that would check the attendance timestamps and record every student as on time, late, or absent for that session.

For example: 9 am class. John shows up at 8:55, he’s recorded as on time. Susan at 9 on time. Jason at 9:05, late. And Charlie no time stamp on that date - absent.

Is that possible in Airtable? I’m new to Airtable. I’ve worked with Filemaker quite a bit at the “dangerous amateur” level.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 Replies 10

You could add a Formula field to compare the Class Date with the Entering Date, and output the Status as the result. Check the DateTime functions:

AFGF
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey Nathan,

Were you able to find an answer to your question?

I am looking to build a system very similar to yours. Could you share how you solved the problem?

Cheers,
Freedom

Nathans
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I didn’t get it working at the time, and have just dusted it off. At the beginning of each semester, I think, “I need a better system!” and then get swept away by the semester. I think I’m getting pretty close with the setup, though. It’s pretty much as I described above, and Elias was right about the calculation.

If there’s some particular aspect of it you’re struggling with, let me know, and I’ll explain what I have/haven’t figured out. The setup as a whole isn’t running yet.

btw, thanks @Elias_Gomez_Sainz for the help - sorry to be so late in saying thank you!

Ronak_Mehta
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Nathans,
I have created something similar to your requirement, where users can punch in and out daily which converts in to reports, I have applied formulas to check late mark etc.
Visit dronahq website and signup for free, do checkout Attendance and Leave app in their market place.

Thanks - I will check that out!

I could not find it. Could you share the direct URL?

Nathans
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@AFGF I think you have to sign up for the service to view the offerings in the marketplace. You can get a free trial to do so. Not sure what happens when the trial runs out (if you don’t want to pay for a monthly subscription, I mean).

Chinazor_KALU
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Nathans, Ronak_Mehta and @Elias_Gomez_Sainz

Any luck with the attendance tracker?

Kindly help as I need something like that too.

Thank you,

What? :thinking:

Nathans
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @Chinazor_KALU , Sorry, but no. I cobbled something together, but there was a lot of duct tape on it in the end, and I never went back to refine it once classes went online.