1857 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBFriedman
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to customize what fields are visible/hidden in an expanded record view for linked records? If I’m just in an expanded view, I can hide/unhide fields in the dropdown for each field, like so:

Screenshot 1.jpg

But if I’m in the expanded view for a linked record, that option goes away:

Screenshot%202|309x500

Field visibility doesn’t appear to be related at all to field visibility on the table I’m linking to. For example, I have admin start date and admin end date both hidden on the view this record is linking to, but they’re visible in the expanded view for that linked record.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Jess

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I believe the expanded record view is based on the default view — that is, the top-most view — set for the linked table. As you’ve discovered, linking to a specified view doesn’t cause that view’s column order and visibility to be followed in displaying the expanded view; instead, it appears to take on the configuration of the default view.

See Solution in Thread

Jean_Francois_B
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

OK Guys this is what I did, created a new collaborative view named "Grid view" from the linked source table, which is the default name given by Airtable on the first grid view of any new table… Then I moved it to the top of the list of Collaborative views. Voilà 😎 .
Now this is the view used when expanding records from the parent table.

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8
W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I believe the expanded record view is based on the default view — that is, the top-most view — set for the linked table. As you’ve discovered, linking to a specified view doesn’t cause that view’s column order and visibility to be followed in displaying the expanded view; instead, it appears to take on the configuration of the default view.

Fantastic! That did the trick. Thank you so much for your help!

We haven’t found this to be true. We use a modification on the Gantt template for Airtable, and our linked records have views that don’t map to any of our views…

We have epic items ("Customer Deliverables) and then linked tasks ("Team Deliverabled). When we open the tasks, from the epic view, the top fields shown are actually hidden or at the bottom of the field priority of our top 5 task table views. So we have no idea where these views are set or what they’re pulling from.

Here is an image of the views I’m discussing, and how the fields are appearing. Content blurred for confidentiality. In the view, the “CD Owner” is prioritized, but it should be the “TD Owner”. There are other fields with the wrong order/priority, but this one is the most frustrating.

Group 4

Update with a possible solution and bug:

This thread helped me identify the logic behind what should have been happening, and what I discovered was that there was a personal view from an editor that was technically the top-most (default) view. For some reason (bug?) this personal view was being recognized as a public view, even when the “Show everyone’s personal views” was toggled off.

I moved it down to the bottom, and now it is no longer causing the problem listed above and it has disappeared from the list when the “Show everyone’s personal views” is toggled off.

So it seems that there is a bug where a personal view can become a table’s top-most/default view. This view belonged to an Editor on the team, but affected everyone’s expanded record view.

Wondering if anyone knows of any advancements on this? Is there a way to format the linked record view (other than following our top-most/default view)?

I have the same question

Knobbly_Studio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Bumping this! It would be really useful to have expanded record views match their linked view settings. My use case - building a lightweight order management system for a client with a physical store. To make things super intuitive I like to set up views in the orders table that allow them to perform different operations on their orders (create a new order, create a return or refund…) The linked record in this case would be the line items. When creating a new order they don’t need to see fields related to returns, etc.

Jean_Francois_B
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

OK Guys this is what I did, created a new collaborative view named "Grid view" from the linked source table, which is the default name given by Airtable on the first grid view of any new table… Then I moved it to the top of the list of Collaborative views. Voilà 😎 .
Now this is the view used when expanding records from the parent table.