cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dorusvankeulen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey there,

I'm new to Airtable and want to count all the checked boxes in one column. 

Anyone know how to do this? 

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Dorus

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah I see.  Hmm, yeah then I would:
1. Create a table called "Participations" or something, where each field represents one participant
2. Create an automation that will run on the last day of the month
3. It will have a "Find record" action that will find the number of records that have a "Date" value from the past month and where a single participants checkbox field is ticked
  - You will need one "Find record" action per participant
4. And finally a "Create Record" action that will create a new record in the "Participations" table and update each field with the length of each "Find record" action

With the way your table is set up now, you would need to create one checkbox field per participant though.  You could perhaps consider creating a "Participants" table and creating a linked field to it like so:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 6.31.01 PM.png

Once this is done, you could create an automation that would run at the end of month, and, for each of the participants you have, look for the number of times they've participated in the last month and create one record per participant with that month's participation number

It...should work, but I don't have enough time to test it I'm afraid.  Here's a link to a base where I've set it up

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 6.40.31 PM.png

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Hey @dorusvankeulen , 

Welcome to Airtable community and team of Airtable users. 

To count this you could simply use the sum function in your formula like following:

SUM({check_ box 1},{check box 2})

For any kind of further question please feel free to post in community 🙂

Thanks for replying that fast @Dimitris_Goudis,

Actually, i want to count the column, not the row (record). As you can see in my attachment. 

Maybe it's not the way to go, but i'm open for any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance

Dorus

Hm, to do this you would need to create another table called "Summary" or something and link all of your current records to a single record in that new table

After that, you would create one "Count" field per "Name" field you have in your original table, and you would make each "Count" field conditional, specifically "If [Name Field] is checked".

You could also do this with an automation with a "Find Record" action per name field.

---

I'm curious what you're trying to do here though, and am wondering whether there might be another way to set up your data so that it's easier for you to get your summaries

dorusvankeulen

Thanks for the reply @TheTimeSavingCo Adam

Yes, i would love to automate it with a Find Record automation.
If you can help me out there would be nice. I'm trying to understand Airtable. 

What i'm trying to do:

I want to count daily participations of people. Different people can participate every day. At the end of the month i want to know how much person A has participated, and how much person B, in that particular month. 

Thanks for your reply!

Dorus

Ah I see.  Hmm, yeah then I would:
1. Create a table called "Participations" or something, where each field represents one participant
2. Create an automation that will run on the last day of the month
3. It will have a "Find record" action that will find the number of records that have a "Date" value from the past month and where a single participants checkbox field is ticked
  - You will need one "Find record" action per participant
4. And finally a "Create Record" action that will create a new record in the "Participations" table and update each field with the length of each "Find record" action

With the way your table is set up now, you would need to create one checkbox field per participant though.  You could perhaps consider creating a "Participants" table and creating a linked field to it like so:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 6.31.01 PM.png

Once this is done, you could create an automation that would run at the end of month, and, for each of the participants you have, look for the number of times they've participated in the last month and create one record per participant with that month's participation number

It...should work, but I don't have enough time to test it I'm afraid.  Here's a link to a base where I've set it up

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 6.40.31 PM.png

dorusvankeulen

Nice! Many thanks Adam, this worked out for me.

Dorus