cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Holmes
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I have two tables in my database:

• Food Items (contains a number of food items with various attributes such as price, food type, etc.)
  • Shops (contains a list of shops with attributes such as address, post code)

These would have a many to many relationship, in that each food item could be in many shops and each shops could contain many food items.

I would like to make a third table which automatically contains all possible combinations of the two tables, and which automatically updates whenever a new record is added to either of the first two tables. Then I intend to add some other attributes and set up a filter so that I could query it.

I can not work out how to do this. I have found a way to create a junction table by following this tutorial ( https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/218734758-A-beginner-s-guide-to-many-to-many-relation... ) but it seems to require me selecting each line manually. I must be doing something wrong but can not work out what it is.

Edit to further clarify: I think in SQL it would be a query along the lines of SELECT * FROM food_items CROSS JOIN shops.

Many thanks

Simon

15 Replies 15

Could you please let me know the details about that solution. Thanks

I’ve sent you a message. :slightly_smiling_face:

Reflash
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am still wondering if it’s possible, it will require too much of manual work in my case

I’ve solved it using a python script and then manually adding two columns, but this doesn’t seem like a nice approach:

https://gist.github.com/reflash/085b572b39131648c1a4db2020ad0686

airtable-joint-table.py
clm_1 = """...""" # column of your first table
clm_2 = """...""" # column of your second table

lines = zip(clm_1.split('\n'), clm_2.split('\n'))

new_lines = list()
for line in lines:
    for item in line[1].split(','):
        new_lines.add((line[0], item.strip()))

This file has been truncated. show original

Hey Arthur, this was an old message you had on this thread, but I’ve got a similar use case for a project. Are there are any updates to to this question? I’d love to learn what your recommendation was on using the API to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Trevor

The API solution involved custom software. A script or Zapier task is also the same concept…

It’s a ‘manual’ thing.

Ismail_Simsek
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looking for same solution. automatically updated cross join table