10719 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Puneet_Sachdeva
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would like to generate a PDF out of a record (to easily visualize the data) and attach the record as an attachment. I would like to do this for all the records in my base.

Any ideas on how to do this using either a script or Zapier/Integromat, possible using Formstack (does not have to use formstack though)? Would love any insight - I am capable of coding in JavaScript and can leverage that if necessary.

16 Replies 16
Carly_Taylor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there!

Happy to help you with this. Our Page Designer block would be perfect for this use case. You can display a record on a page in any template you create. You can include different fields on the page and each page displays one record. When you’re done, you can print out your records or turn them into PDFs to then attach to your record in an attachment field.

You can watch a video explaining this block in more detail here: https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013405168-Page-designer-block-overview

Hope this helps!

I do something like this for my business invoices. I build an HTML version of the invoice (pieces made in various linked tables, all rolled up into the main invoice and assembled via some helper formulas), and click a field button to trigger a script that calls an Integromat webhook, passing the record ID. The Integromat scenario pulls the HTML from the Airtable record, sends it to CloudConvert to convert it to a PDF file, then saves the PDF into an attachment field in Airtable.

Yes, you can do this with Integromat by using DocuPilot or FormStack Documents. DocuPilot is the preferred way to go, since it is cheaper than FormStack. But there are other document-generating websites that you could use as well.

Hello i just want a detail about the Puneet question. Page designer can make a pdf right but it cant do it automaticaly right? i find the way to export the pdt with the printer function but is it impossible do export pdt automaticaly when a record is done? I will be very happy if this way exist but can you confirm it? Thanks Carly

You can also use DocuMint to do this as well (with or without Integromat).

Correct. Getting a report from Page Designer into an attachment field is a multi-step process.

In order to get a fully automated system, you currently must use at least one third party service.

On2Air has a Google Docs integration that allows you to automatically generate documents using your Airtable data, then exports it as a PDF attachment back to your Airtable base.

Here’s an example use-case - How to Create a Sales Contract PDF in Google Docs

and more info about the Google Docs function

The HTML solution is clever. Bypass document services entirely.

It doesn’t completely bypass document services. Currently there is no “one-click” solution to creating a pdf attachment that doesn’t involve at least one third party service.

In Justin’s case, he uses a combination of Integromat and CloudConvert. There are also other services. I tend to use PDFShift and I wrote the app Low Tech PDF that use PDFShift to create pdf attachments with one click.

To clarify, I no longer use Integromat/Make (for anything). I now call CloudConvert’s API from an Airtable automation and save the resulting PDF directly to an attachment field.

Re: bypassing document services, I think that @Jeff_Haskin was referring to a service like Google or Documint where a document would be created—directly or via a template—before exporting as a PDF file. That said, the line is a bit fuzzy in this case as HTML might be considered a form of document, and therefore CloudConvert might be considered a document service, even though the original HTML “document” is never saved anywhere.

LarryFlores

Hey there,

For anyone looking, another great solution you might want to take a look at is Plumsail Documents. You can upload any DOCX template and use it to create documents from record data in Airtable. The integration is based on Zapier.

How to auto generate contracts from Airtable data in Zapier — Plumsail Documents

It is a paid solution, but you can take a free 30-day trial on their website.

Tanel_Tahepold

Hello,

One option is the PDF Generator API extension which allows you to build document templates and merge them with data you have on Airtable. Templates are hosted in the cloud, so there is no need to store Docx or HTML files. 

Disclaimer: I'm the founder of PDF Generator API

Is this still the case that to get a fully automated service using Page Designer that you still need a third party? We are only allowed  to use airtable extensions in our company.

JavierGO
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Looking for this option too, to generate a pdf automatically in airtable.

Have things changed since your 2020-2022 replies?

@Tanel_Tahepold Is there a way to trigger the document to be generated and attached to the record without a human pressing a 'Generate" button? 

It is possible to use the Scripting functionality in Airtable, but it requires some JavaScript know-how. You can check our example code on GitHub.

1. https://github.com/pdfgeneratorapi/airtable-scripting/blob/main/index.js
  2. https://support.pdfgeneratorapi.com/en/article/how-to-integrate-with-airtable-1h5xdjw/#2-scripting