Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

CSV Import unable to import to synced table, even when no new records would be created

735 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alyssa_Buchthal
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I'm attempting to make a csv import into a synced table. I've curated the data to import and I'm 100% sure that it would only be updating existing records, not creating any new ones, but as soon as I set up the field to map by, I get this:

Alyssa_Buchthal_0-1721753657252.png

Like I said, I have 100% verified that no records would be created with this import, I am 100% confident, yet this still pops up. Is this just a built-in constraint disallowing imports to synced tables, or is there something I can toggle to allow it?

If push comes to shove I can create a helper table, import the data, then use automations/linking to get the data from the helper table into the synced table, that just seems like such a pain in the butt for what could be a simple import.

4 Replies 4

Hello Alyssa,

It seems that Enterprise plan is required to edit a sync table:

Pascal_Gallais_0-1721754758738.png

Nevertheless, I have a naive question: why don't you import the data in to the source table an let synchronisation do the job?

Regards,

Pascal

Alyssa_Buchthal
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

We have enterprise, so that isn't the issue here.

As for your question, some of the fields we want to import to only exist in the destination table, so we aren't able to import to the source for them.

Hello Alyssa,

I just did the test:

- I synced a table A into table B

- I added a "new info" field into table B with no values

- I exported table B view into a csv file that I modified to insert values in field "new info"

- I used the "CSV import" extension using the "merge with existing records" option to import the modified CSV

It worked fine, all fields in table B have been updated and no new records were created.

Then, I modified the csv file by adding a new row that does not exists in Table B and I did get the same error message that you get when trying to import it.

regards,

Pascal

Alexswerdlow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey! I've had this same exact issue. I am thinking it's an issue with the extension. We also use an Enterprise Plan, so that's not the constraint. Here's a link to the post: https://community.airtable.com/t5/base-design/import-csv-extension-doesn-t-work-on-synced-base/td-p/...