Help

Re: Default value for single select column?

Solved
Jump to Solution
6652 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl_Berggren
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a table where I want all new entries (rows) to have a default value for a single select column. Is that possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bridger_Maxwell
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

0934EBBD-4C65-4CAE-AC7B-D553986DB762.jpeg

Good news, this launched as a feature today! Now you can set a default value on any single select field. 

See Solution in Thread

62 Replies 62

Unfortunately, there’s not. Single Select is one of the many fields that currently do not have a default value option where one would be very nice. I believe there’s a #feature-requests addressing this out there already. You might consider looking it up and adding your support there.

Hi Karl

This is unfortunately the case - there is a possible solution (work around really) available to you by using Integromat or Zapier. Using either, you could watch for new records where this field is blank and fill it in. The only downside is that this wouldn’t be instant of course.

Hope this helps?

ian_collins
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I see there has been a feature request for this for several years!

Manthan_Mallika

Bump, this is something thats pretty important!

Zarian_Lewis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

There is a bit of a workaround that works for me. Group by the column you want the default value in and add new records in that group… for Example, I have a column called “Status”, every new record should default to “Planned”. After adding the Status column to the grouping, I now add new records under the “Planned” group.

This is genius, thanks !!! Worked for me aswell and the view is much cleaner also.

Mark_Fleming
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I really would like this default feature myself. Please consider it. I don’t see a downside to doing it.

Marc_Froissart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Multiple requests for this basic feature since 2016, please keep us updated on the status.
Thanks.

Ethan1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can the Airtable team update us on the status of this feature request?

Matthew_Cullum
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just chiming in as a new Airtable user: single select default would be a very useful feature. Having the grouped by workaround is nice, but having the option to set a default would be even nicer.

Ray_Li

How is this not a feature? We’ve been waiting for 3 years now for this.

Abdulrahman_Alz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I made a tool that solves this problem. You define a default value, and then the tool will periodically update empty rows with the default value. Works with single select, multiple select, linked records, attachments, etc.

Jeremy_Cogman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just started using Airtable and that lack of default for single selects seems a major omission so I’m added my voice to the clamour for this.

American_Appwor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

You can also create a computed column in addition to the column that you want to default using the “Formula” type. For example, I have a “Status” column that is my single select and a “Computed Status” that is a formula. My formula is IF(Status = “”, “Lead”, Status).

Navik_Integral
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

2020 - Please add this in!

Trey_Williams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree, this is absurd. Every single form builder and database I have ever used has this option. On the free version of air table right now. Super basic functionality they’re missing is causing me to never want to pay…

@Trey_Williams

I agree that this missing functionality is frustrating.

However the workaround described by @American_Appworks on Jan 23 works fairly well.

Here is a slightly modified version of the formula:

IF( {SingleSelectField} = BLANK(), 
  "default value", 
  {SingleSelectField}
)

Hi @kuovonne. Loving that I just came across the same challenge and youve posted a solution today!

Pardon my novice use of formulas in AT. but how do U define “SingleSelectField”?

Scenario - lead generation from SMS using zapier and click send. Basically a new record is inserted when an sms response is received (works super well) I then want the ‘STATUS’ field default (inserted as null/blank) to be set to NEW. Then all the team need to do is use a drop down to change to either ‘closed/dead’ 'booked" or ‘call back’

Appreciate your guidance in advance.

Russell (from Australia)

Ok. worked it out. You need to create a new column with the formula and SingleSelectField = the name of the field that has the dropdown. which kinda means I need to show 2 fields “Current Status” (formula field and “Change Status” (single select field).

Does that sound right?