Help

Export all airtable data (including files, keeping file<>record relation)

Topic Labels: Data Sync
392 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hallo_michael
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey community, I'd like to export all my airtable data (including files) which turns out to be trickier than (at least) I hoped: I understand that there is a CSV export function. The main issue for me here is that the file(s) are stored via the expiry link which makes it... not really (re)useable.

Therefore, is there a way to either transform the expiry link into a permanent link or be able to download the complete data?

By complete data I also mean keeping the relations: I noticed that there is a way through zapier to export all the data (as files) but they would then have to be linked to the record manually again (from my understanding). 

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks, 

Michael

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are at least 2 different ways to do what you would like to do:

#1. Create your own external automation to handle this for you.

You mentioned Zapier in your message above, but I would STRONGLY recommend against using Zapier.

Make is INFINITELY more powerful & customizable than Zapier, yet it is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER than Zapier.

I wrote an entire post here comparing Make vs. Zapier

What you want to do is possible by using Make, but your automation would need to be responsible for moving all of your files to a cloud storage location and linking to them.

I show how to automatically export files from Airtable on this Airtable podcast episode.

#2. A much easier and much quicker way of doing this would be to use a dedicated Airtable backup tool, which would also take your attachments and move them into a cloud storage space for you -- and then would give you the new link to the new storage space.

That's what On2Air Backups does, as part of its automated Airtable backups.

p.s. If your company has a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld 

henrypieterson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi Michael Im sorry to say that Airtable doesn't currently offer a built-in way to export all your data including files and maintain permanent links or record relations. Here's a breakdown of Michael's situation and potential solutions:

Your Problem Michael :

• Wants to export all Airtable data (including files)
  • CSV export creates links with expiration dates, making them unusable later.
  • Needs a way to get permanent links or download complete data.
  • Ideally, the exported data should maintain relations between files and records.
  • Tried Zapier, but it exports files separately requiring manual linking back to records.

Possible Solutions:

You can try these methods for you solution I hope they will work for you,

1. Third-party Integrations:

• Tools like Coefficient or Whalesync can connect Airtable to other platforms like Google Sheets. These might offer options for data refresh schedules, potentially keeping the data more up-to-date. However, permanent file links or automated record relation maintenance might still be limited.
  2. Zapier with Manual Workaround:

• As Michael mentioned, Zapier can export files, but they wouldn't be automatically linked back to records. You could potentially use Zapier to download the files and then implement a separate process to link them back to the corresponding records in your new data storage location.
  3. Airtable Support:

• While there isn't a current solution, reaching out to Airtable support might be helpful. They can provide insights into any future plans for improved data export functionalities, including permanent links or relation preservation.

Overall, there's no perfect solution yet, but these approaches can help you to export his Airtable data with some workarounds.