Help

Grouping - how to group by singular Multis?

Topic Labels: Integrations
7439 11
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Andrews1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a question about Grouping…

I understand how to Group a grid view.
I am doing so by a Multi-Select field, called “Topic”.
The problem (which is one of preference) is that some of my items have more than one Topic assigned. The way Grouping works, it shows distinct groups for combinations of Topic, eg. Not only a Group showing items with a “Red” Topic, but also a Group for items with “Red”, “Green” AND “Blue” Topics.

I’m curious if I could force a Group to show all the items with the corresponding Topic. It is confusing to see this many Group combinations thanks to Multi-Select.

11 Replies 11

You need to transform the MultiSelect in a new Table. There you could see the Items by Topics:

1283b308a1333cb11624f4faf1bceef73b2c14e0.png

Even you could create a junction Table if you need to store more data about that relation (start date for instance): https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/218734758-A-beginner-s-guide-to-many-to-many-relation...

You are talking so abstract I can’t give you more advice :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Jayati_Doshi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a similar question. (@Elias_Gomez_Sainz, if you could help! )
So, for example, I have a workspace with multiple projects, and one multi-column that has the type of activity, so say consulting, research, workshop, and so on. Now, I need to group all the records that have consulting, all those have research, etc. Right now, it is grouping the records that have 3 of these, 2 of these, and those that have only one, rather than showing me all that have one of these functions.
I tried to use filters for this when it was just a few categories, but this is not helping when there are many categories. Is there any way to group it this way?

You also need to convert the MultipleSelect to a Table.

Hi - I’d like to be able to do this but plotted onto the new Gannt chart. The problem with converting the multiple select to a table is that you then have to create a date look up fields which creates an array.

Is there a way to do this?

I read the support article but not sure what which solution I need. Let’s say I simply have a client and they are in two projects (an in person project and online project.) So I have a multi-select for my clients and group by this selection.

Like the original post, if a client is in person and online, it makes a new category. Instead I want them to show up in both categories, not a new category for people with both online and in person checked.

Can you explain how to “transform the multiselect in a new table”?

Thanks!

You can do that with today’s features.

ltdjtfM9Yo

I’m sorry. I feel this should be easy, but when I tried to select link to a new table, It didn’t create a new table as yours did. It just created a new category.

I have attached this image. I have groups. I just want the client to stay in both groups, in a similar view as I have, if possible…

Hm, it won’t let me attach an image or include a link. Here’s a screen shot, just remove the spaces… "https:// prnt .sc /owit4p

1. Open the field configuration
  2. Change the field Type to ‘Link to another record’, at the top
  3. Go to the bottom and select ‘Create new table’
  4. Press ‘Save’

Anyway, this not solves the problem on the Grouping in the Client table, but creates a Client Type table where you can work: get sums, bye Clients by Type, etc.

Hi,
Can I transform a multiselect field in a new table when it is currently integrated with Jotform. I don’t want to mess up with my current setup right now.
Thank you

mrvc
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would be so simple with a checkbox to 'split multiple values'. Official response is here from airtable and the suggested workaround is poor — create views for every multiselect item which would be super tedious!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/multiple-select-field

I need to share a view with unique groups and multiple views doesn't work at all for this use case. I suggest visiting that support article and responding to the page with feedback about how poor this suggested workaround is. 

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 03.45.04.jpg

this is the way!! come on AIrtable. we've been waiting years for this.