Help

How to connect alt text to multiple images in attachment field?

4120 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maureen_Holland
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all, I’m using the Airtable API to provide data for a jamstack site. I’ve run into a roadblock with the attachments field. Has anyone found a way to connect alt text or image description information to multiple images? (The previous workaround was to have one Image column and one Alt Text column, but it falls apart if you want to use multiple images).

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.52.16 AM

If I added a comment to each image, would it be possible to access that information in the API? (Looking through the API docs, it seems like the answer is no)

Is there some way to add this information to the uploaded file?

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.39.22 AM

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Maureen_Holland! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: You didn’t provide details on what these images are tied to conceptually, so this might not work, but I’m going to share it anyway.

Make a separate table for images, with one image per record, each with its own alt text in a single {Alt Text} field. Then link to these image records from your main table as needed, with one or more images linked per primary record. Add a lookup field to see the images all in one place (the primary record in the [Images] table can’t be an attachment, so they’ll need to be attached in another field), and another lookup/rollup to collect the alt tags. The API can access the images and their respective alt tags by using the links.

Thanks for the response! I think this could work. I have to check on how the current table is populated. The table with multiple images is a synced view from a base I don’t have access to at the moment.