Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liamwalker1753
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

example URL = Sign in - Airtable

example API = keyMYCOOLKEY

This is what I have and what I am working with. The system that I have set up connects to the above URL and gets HTML back… Don’t know if that is correct, but the end goal is to retrieve JSON data for data import.

The issue is that when I use the URL, it displays the HTML page but says it needs a login. At no time does it require my API key. A PHP curl test reveals :

"Found. Redirecting to /login?continue=%2FappiKlBfTyvFfarTu%2FtbliOpnbcxQauIudo%2Fviw7uPlqwOjhTydwt%3Fblocks%3Dhide&redirectSource=liveapp"

When I use a bogus app/tbl/viw, then it returns an HTML that says the page cannot be found.

To summarize, the URL seems to be working that I have although it needs a login in order to return a HTML with the correct JSON data.

How can I approach this, so that the correct data is returned while also using the API key?

What I have done

I tried using https://api.airtable/app… with curl and passing Bearer and the API key. This only works with
https://airtable.com/appiKlBfTyvFfarTu/tbliOpnbcxQauIudo?blocks=hide
It doesn’t seem to like the view

I get back JSON, but not the data I am looking for because it’s missing the view.

11 Replies 11

You are welcome. I suspect solving the client’s issue will require a deeper dive into the nuances of the Airtable API, and the documentation will be essential to understanding those details.

I am saddened that your conversation with Scott took an unpleasant turn. I basically repeated the same advice as Scott, which was to refer you to the documentation. Without your conversation with Scott, it would not have been revealed that you were new to Airtable and APIs and had such limited access. It is very rare for people to post of these forums about bases to which they do not have access, so we normally assume that you do have access. Most of the people on these forums also have limited experience with the REST API and do not interact with threads about it.

I always chuckle a little when I see back-to-back deleted posts from @ScottWorld and hope that some day he publishes these through a Patreon feed. I’d pay. It’s like watching Wile E. Coyote paint a tunnel on a rock.

I’m going to mess up the analytics by liking every one of Scott’s deleted posts.