Help

I'm baaaaack to Airtable Community

3605 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As some of you may know, I’ve spent the past year, at least, battling a debilitating physical condition. For the last few months, this expressed itself as near-disabling reflected pain in my arms and shoulders that made working at a keyboard – or focusing on any task more complicated than rereading genre fiction – virtually impossible.

Although the condition was finally diagnosed mid-November, complications (a two-month pause to reschedule surgery with an in-network physician amenable to my insurance provider; the scorched-earth arrival of Covid-19) pushed my surgery back to April 10. (Fortunately [?], the delay meant my situation had deteriorated to the point the procedure was no longer considered elective; otherwise, you’d be reading this in October.)

Today, a week out of the hospital and with another month of recovery ahead of me, I already feel better than I have in a couple of years. A whole raft of symptoms my doctors said might be alleviated by the surgery have completely disappeared. I still need to tweak my workstation a bit, but I’ve already spent more time at the computer pain-free today than in the previous five months, combined.

I am also woefully backlogged, with literally hundreds of messages waiting for me here and dozens of pertinent emails sprinkled among the 15,000 or so sitting unread in my inbox. Accordingly, I’m going to do a soft reset and just pretend the past half-year never happened. If you tried to contact me, and no one else stepped up to answer your question, try again: I’ll be scanning my messages primarily for bug reports against bases published here or on Airtable Universe and ignoring the rest; the same goes for emails. Messages arriving today and going forward I’ll do my best to respond. (I’ll also again be offering consulting services beginning the week of the 27th, so PM or email me if you’re interested in reserving a slot.)

This week I’ll be playing catch-up, running through a few five-finger exercises to practice my Airtable chops, reviewing What’s New since I was last here, and retraining my body to function while vertical.

And, yes, it is great to be back!

12 Replies 12

Welcome back!

Your posts have helped me out massively, and I’m glad that you’re back in the Airtable community!

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @W_Vann_Hall

So glad to hear that everything is going well with you!

I will be looking forward to your posts.

Mary

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Welcome back @W_Vann_Hall, glad to hear that you’re starting to feel better!

Welcome back! :partying_face:

You don’t know me because I only been posting on these forums for two months, as of today. However, I’ve read a few of your posts and have been very inspired by the work you have done.

While Airtable has made a lot of changes in the last half year, one of the biggest is the new Scripting Block.

Welcome back, friend :slightly_smiling_face:
You’ve got some real juicy treats awaiting you in the What’s New list!

Wow. That’s a pretty impressive feature list since January!

I may need a couple of weeks to come up to speed…

I can only imagine what you’ll be able to cook up with scripting, @W_Vann_Hall. Welcome back!

Welcome back, man! Glad to hear that you’re on the mend. :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Good to hear from you again! You were greatly missed in the community.
I hope you will recover soon.

David_Shaw
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Wonderful that you are back in action.
And a terrible time to fight one battle, with that “invisible enemy” looming over your head!
Now get to wortk - WE need desperately!!!

• Dave

It sure is. And it doesn’t even cover all the changes.

For example, the quirky sort order of linked records is being phased out.

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I am late to this party, just having stumbled upon you, W_Vann_Hall - and your many helpful and elegant solutions.

So sorry to learn about your belated health challenges but so glad you found solutions and are back at it - vertical and modified as needed 😉 and continuing to contribute so generously!

THANK YOU! 😉