Help

Re: Is it possible to make "Copy to Clipboard" button from selected fields?

2266 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Catherine_Pines
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I often copy data from several fields at once, so I need to use a horizontal scroll to select all the data, which is not really user-friendly. That’s why I thought maybe it’s possible to create a button field that copies data from some fields of the same row and sends it to the clipboard.

I did some research and figured out it can’t be made with built-in Airtable features. I guess custom scripting may help, but I’m not familiar with JS, so I have no idea where to start or if it’ll even work:sweat_smile: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies 4

Welcome to the community, @Catherine_Pines! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Sorry that you haven’t had an answer yet. Unfortunately I don’t believe this is possible, even with scripting. All of the JavaScript examples that I’ve found use features of the DOM (document object model) to perform the copy operation, and those features aren’t available in Airtable’s scripting system.

I could be wrong, though. I’m gonna ping a few folks who might have deeper scripting knowledge (@openside @kuovonne @Jeremy_Oglesby)

Welcome to the Airtable community!

My experience with trying to copy text with a button field matches @Justin_Barrett 's. It isn’t possible with scripting.

However, there may be ways to make it easier for you to copy the text you need.

• You can create a new view showing only the fields you need to copy. You can quickly hide and rearrange fields using the show/hide icon in the toolbar.
  • If you all of the values are text based (e.g. no attachments), you can have a script that displays all the values of the fields as text, and then manually copy the text from the scripting app window.
  • It probably is possible with a custom app. However, custom app development takes a lot of effort and probably is overkill for your situation.
Catherine_Pines

Oh, I can’t believe it isn’t possible! I ended up using copying from Airtable in pair with “Multi Input Paste” Chrome extension. I use a formula for adding attributes that are visible for this extension, so now I can copy the whole row, but only cells with required attributes will be pasted.

OfficeOurs
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What made it a little faster for me was using a button to open up the record, which reduces the number of clicks needed. Like this