Help

Is there a way to lock a table by default?

Topic Labels: Base design Data
438 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
py64
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is to avoid accidentally modifying cell contents or modifying rows. Often time I was in a table view and the mouse was placed at a cell, and I wasn't careful enough so keystrokes sometimes override the contents of cells. This can happen if you are using hotkeys, e.g. CTRL+C but it's not simultaneously pressed, so a C may replace the cell content you want to copy. If I didn't notice this before I lost the chance to undo, it would be very painful or sometimes even impossible to recover the content. 

Note this is not the View lock, nor the lock to specific cells. It's also not permission-based locking. Just a fool proof for data integrity.

I'm imagining that I can set a table to default lock state, so that any modification in the table view was either not effected or with some warning before taking effect. A user can still modify the content in the row editor. 

Are there existing features that are similar to this, or can this be a feature request? Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can lock columns using the field editor. 

It doesn't appear to have such option. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 20.26.51.png

Can you elaborate? Thanks

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

click on edit field permissions.

That only has options for user group permission and isn't for locking the table. As mentioned in my original post, I'm not looking for permission-based control. Thanks

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are no read only view for the table.  You could do this through a read only interface where the entire grid view of the table is shared read only.