Help

Re: Is there any way to add a field in to a form as view-only?

1720 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orders_Candor_T
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have an Airtable form to submit internal orders, and it would be very helpful for our team to have a field that shows the last record number before filling in a new order. Not to create the order number – we have autonumbers set up – this is because they have to add the current PO to one of the files that gets submitted in the form itself. Right now they’re going and checking the latest order number in the normal Airtable view before submitting the form, but if they can cut that step out it would be helpful!

Is there any way to add in a view-only or read-only field?

I looked at trying to integrate the interfaces with forms too and that didn’t quite get what I was going for.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Unfortunately, this is only possible with 3rd party forms that work with Airtable, such as MiniExtensions.com or the combination of JotForm + On2Air Forms.

(As far as I know, you would also need to slightly restructure your database to get the latest record number sent to the form.)

Kevin_Bradshaw
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but for those of you still looking to create an alternative 'readonly-like' field, but don't want to use third party forms like Jotform (don't get me wrong, they DO have their place), you could try the 'dummy' field option.  That is, create a new Airtable single line or long text field that contains the required data and display the that text field data in a separate form field with the appropriate 'READONLY' warning, and just don't use the data from that form field... it's readonly so your intention is that the back-end won't change on form submission.

I know this is inefficient and wasteful, but so is waiting for Airtable to create a 'readonly' form field.

If you find users are changing the 'readonly' form field and getting confused by the results, ie their fiddling doesn't change the form submission outcome, you might be able to sell them some training 😊

I use this method for displaying calculated summaries, as well as displaying calculated serial numbers, etc.

Happy coding...