cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Dlouhy
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Greetings to the Airtable Community!

In my SVCS/Tasks table I have two special views. One filters where items are coded as “Task”, the other where items are coded as “SVC” and a status of “SVC YES.”

I link to the SVCS/Tasks table in my Events table, using the views above to “Limit record selection to a view.” One column to display the SVC items, the other the Tasks. This was working well, but now I’m seeing SVC items in the Task view and vice versa.

I’ve attached some screen grabs to demonstrate the issue. Any assistance/guidance would be most appreciated.
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.48.22 PMScreen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.48.30 PM

10 Replies 10
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @John_Dlouhy

Could you send screenshots of the actual filters?

The other question I have, is, did you link the correct record to the correct field? In other words, did a record get linked to the wrong field.

Just throwing out some questions.

Hope this helps.

Mary Kay

Hi Mary Kay!

Below are screen grabs of the filters. I’m 99.99345% certain I’m linked to the right field.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 3.59.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-29 at 3.59.43 PM.png

Your link limitation and filter setups look fine to me.

Is it possible that the links are being made in reverse; i.e. from the [SVCS/Tasks] table to the [Events] table, where there’s no restriction in place?

Has that link limitation always been in place since the base was first put into use? If the limitation was added later, that wouldn’t affect old errant links. The limitation only restricts what records are shown for selection when creating a link. It doesn’t change existing links made to records that wouldn’t currently appear because of the limitation.

Are all of these links being created manually from within the Airtable interface?

Thanks for this, Justin. I will reverse the order of the links (i.e. delete the existing links and then re-establish going from [Events] to [SVCS/Tasks]).

As always, deeply appreciative of your expertise and thoughtful analysis!

Will circle back to report if it does the trick.

Cheers and thanks again!

[Sent on the go from my iPhone. Please excuse brevity and/or typing errors.]

There’s no need to do this. When a link is made, Airtable doesn’t keep track of which direction it was made from. I was just asking if any of them might have been made the opposite way just to point out that there’s no restriction in the linking process from the [SVCS/Tasks] side of things. Deleting links and remaking them isn’t going to fix anything. I’m more interested in answers to my other questions above.

John_Dlouhy
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’m not sure I can answer this accurately (I don’t quite understand the question :flushed: ) —but everything I’ve done with the base has been within AirTable.

That could be the cause of the errant links. If there was no limitation in place for a certain period of time, it’s possible that links were made to the wrong type of item during that period.

Is this base only used by you, or are there others who work in it on occasion?

I was effectively asking if the links were made by a person using Airtable, vs some API-driven system (custom code, or an integration service like Zapier or Integromat) tweaking things. Here’s why I asked that: the link filters you added only work via the Airtable UI. If you have code tweaking the data via the API, that code can do whatever it wants because the link limitations don’t affect it.

I’m the only one working on it now. Hoping to roll it out to my team next week. Is there anything I can do to fix the errant links?

…and there are no Zapier/Integromat integrations.