4510 16
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d like to use AirTable as a backend for Wordpress.

• Is there a wordpress plugin to so ? (I already know AirPress)
  • How would you organize your Post in a AirTable ? and more precisely how would you handle Markdown from AirtTable rich fields and images ?

I give a try to AirPress it’s great but it doesn’t go very far

• It do not handle Markdown fields
  • It seems there is a “timeout” on AirTable Images ? So the URL is quickly forbidden
  • I need to do custom trick in order to handle from markdown field

May be I should you an other FrontEnd than Wordpress ? (I chose Wordpress because it power half of the web ;-))

May be I should explicitly post and update Wordpress instead of using virtual fields ?

16 Replies 16
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yes and Wordpress power many many web site around the world. It’s not a trendy startup.

How do you CRUD (Create/Update) AirTable to Wordpress ? Do you use a custom code or do you use IFTTT / Integromat / … ? If I do it that way I think i’ll have to use custom code (with a middleware server) in order to perform Markdown to HTML with custom rules and upload attachements, tags, etc …

Yep - this is one of the complexities you will run into.

It’s important to note that you can use the entire Markdown spec in Airtable content. Airtable [itself] doesn’t support it, of course, but this doesn’t prohibit you from using it as a publishing grammar in your content management base. However, you will be responsible for transformations into HTML because Wordpress won’t do this for you unless you integrate with a plugin like this. You can also use javascript libraries to perform these transformations but this requires a proxy server to perform these transformations.

As I mentioned in my first post, I use custom apps that I developed specifically for this purpose. You can get early versions of these apps from Airtable’s Custom Block contest.

I predict some enterprising developer will eventually create a full markdown editor in a custom app that renders and edits the complete Markdown spec while quietly storing the content in a long [hidden] text field.

Aside from implementing spec it would be awesome to able to link an attachment, or record or contributor. something like Myh Record the tricky part would be to treat this link as a “hard link” so it would be possible to perform backlink

For instance all the “markdone notes” talking about “something” without having to add a dedicated column. (yes it could be done by parsing + hidden column)

Mariam_Hakobyan
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We are building Softr.io , which allows building powerful websites & web-apps using Airtable as a backend, in 10 minutes. We are soon releasing the User Accounts functionality, so users will be able to create Membership websites, like marketplaces, listings, upvoting sites and more :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Feel free to check it out, it’s free - www.softr.io, and let me know if you have specific questions!

clairem44
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, I see that this post as not received any relevant answer for quite a long time, although I guess it is still an issue that lots of WordPress and Airtable users meet !

To use Airtable as a backend for your WordPress website, you should definitely have a look on Air WP Sync, a WordPress plugin that allows to import and sync Airtable data to WordPress Posts, Pages, Custom Post Types, users.... with the support of ACF fields and most SEO plugins, it should do the job : https://wpconnect.co/air-wp-sync-plugin/