cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle_Beckem
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to sort related records within a table that I am bringing to Page Designer Block. For example, I would like to bring in the schedule (run of show) for an event. Each activity + time is a record in a related table. When I bring in the table to my Page Designer Block, the activity times are not in the right order. Is there a workaround so that I can display the records in the correct time order?

02%20PM

12 Replies 12

The order is the manual order in which you added the records. You can reorder them with drag and drop.

Elias, could you explain this a little more? As far as I can tell, the records actually appear in the reverse order they were added to the base, and there is no way to rearrange them, even with drag and drop. Where are you doing this drag and drop to rearrange them? And is there no way to set a sort order?

Edit: see the screen shot below. I know for a fact the records were added in the reverse order they are being displayed.

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.30.34 PM.png

(I submitted a feature request for this last fall. This is still one of the biggest reasons I don’t move more to Airtable, and if you have a way around it, I want to know!)

Paul -

I must admit it doesn’t work the way I thought it did, either. based on the Block description, I thought one drag-and-dropped related records directly in the Page Designer edit window to change their order. Instead, from the Page Designer window, one selects ‘Expand record’ to open the traditional expanded record screen and reorders the sequence of linked records there. (Presumably this means the sequence has to be set manually for each record in the base; unfortunately, the table in my ‘scratch’ base I used to check this has only a single record with a many-to-one link.)

And, yes, you are right: Airtable treats related records as a LIFO (last in, first out) stack, so items are returned in reverse order from how they were added. This means, with sufficient omniscience, one can simply add related records bassackwardly have them presented in proper order. :winking_face:

Well, reversed. I forgot to mention that.

About the drag & drop:

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-17_03-16-52_p. m..gif

Paul_Teplitz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks to you both, that’s useful. Doing it manually isn’t great when one will be needing to do it all the time. Filemaker has the “sort portal records by” function - that’s what I would like here. Until then, it’s good to know there is a method that I can use.

Thanks for taking the time to show this!

Bryan_Gortikov
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

As a new user, this is something I would VERY MUCH like to see. It would be extraordinarily helpful if we could have some basic functions (grouping, sorting, filtering) in the page designer table. This is the exclusive reason that I have paid for pro

YES, supporting this feature request, please! ability to sort/group fields from a linked table field in page designer - this is really crucial functionality that would greatly increase usefulness and value, thanks for considering

Adam_Altman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please prioritize this feature!

I just upgraded so I could have the page designer feature, so I would very much like to sort and filter the records that are displayed. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense.

Jacob_Lamoureux
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Thanks, @Elias_Gomez_Sainz, for providing the instructions above. I’m happy to share that there’s now a much quicker, automated way to sort the records that appear in linked record tables in page designer! For an illustration of how this works, please click the GIF in the record here.

Hope this saves everyone a lot of time! :thumbs_up:

Achim_Baur
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Replying to this old thread to say that it's great that sorting works now for tables in Page Designer. But I can't seem to sort by a second column.

Th UI has the option to sort by one column (e.g. "quantity" as in the GIF). It also allows me to add secondary sort options but if I pick one (say "price") it does not seem to make any difference.

Is it just me or do other people experience that as well?