cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayumi_Kurashin
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone know detialed rules about what should happen when data is pasted into a table where the data is sorted.

I have one table sorted by non-Key field (a-z). I was pasting a set of data from another table to this sorted table every day. All new data have the sorted field value > exisring value, so they appear at the bottom of the table. However, I found out recently that only 1 data was added (because I need to create 1 new record when pasting the data), and the rest of the new data was overwriting the data at the top of the table with the smallest sorted value.

I guess that the 1st pasted record has the sorted field = blank for a split second which placed the first pasted record at the top of the table. This would have made the rest of the records to overwrite existing records. However, I didn't receive any warning messages during this process. I was believing that I was adding all of the pasted records to this table for a long time.

Now, I am reviewing all of the 'sorted' tables just in case and found that the above is not the case on some of the tables. When table is sorted by an auto number field (key field), new data is created (=added to the table) when I paste data into the table. 2nd, 3rd....... data do not overwrite the existing data.

Do you know what the rules are? I would like to apply 'sort' with confidence knowing the rules.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Why don't you just disable "Automatically sort records" before pasting and enable again after?
I suppose your source and destination tables having the same number and order of fields. Usually, when I'm going to paste several rows, I click 'plus' to add new row and when cursor is blinking in the primary column of new row, press Ctrl+V. 

Mayumi_Kurashin

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am already doing it. Please imagine that you add a new row and paste 10 records into the table. In some cases, only 1 record is added and 9 overwrites the existing records. However, you can add 10 new records successfully in some cases too. In both cases, the tables are 'sorted'. I want to know when the pasting overwrites and when it does not overwrite.

Thanks,

I tried to perform action without 'Automatically sort' several times with different set of fields - in all cases it paste as it should be. Each time it asks me:

Alexey_Gusev_0-1675937926518.png

but when I enable 'Automatically sort', it changed behavior: 

Alexey_Gusev_1-1675938274119.png

So, I thought you should disable this switch

Alexey_Gusev_2-1675938403674.png

to prevent moving the first pasted record on the top of the table (which by your guess is the reason of problem). If it doesn't help - I'm out of ideas.

Mayumi_Kurashin

Thank you so much for checking this. By comparing the table which had data pasted correctly and incorrectly, I came up with an idea. The table which had the data pasted correctly was sorted by the system created data (e.g. auto number). The table which had the data pasted incorrectly was sorted by the non-system created data. That might have been the difference. Was your table sorted by the system created data?