cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helmi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey there,

we’re just starting using Airtable a bit more intensive than in the past. One of the biggest issue we are facing is performance when switching between tables.

Our customer table only contains around 3000 rows of data but it takes 3-5 secs at a minimum to load each time we switch to other tables. There are connections to another table with around 8000 rows which are linked to the customers but I can’t believe it is checking these connections on every reload/switch to other tables, is it?

If so the problem would only get worse with growing numbers and we could just stop using Airtable again.

Any other idea?

10 Replies 10

In your situation, to reduce loading times, we recommend keeping different tables open in separate browser tabs/windows. Let me know if that helps!

Thanks, this is indeed a good idea that could have come to my mind earlier :slightly_smiling_face:

Hallie_Siegel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a similar problem, just starting with airtable and trying to decide if this is a good place to start a shared record system. I have to say that loading times are super slow even though I haven’t really got any records starting. It concerns me since I’m now on high speed and at times am travelling where I will be accessing on a cell network. I love the concept of this app but am seriously questioning whether it’s fast enough to make work.

Purely anecdotal, but early yesterday I consistently ran into long load times and repeated disconnects; by late afternoon (PDT) the issue seemed to have cleared, and so far today things have been back to normal. If you’re commenting based primarily on the past few days, there may have been something going on behind the lines…

This is what you get for paying virtually nothing for great software features. I’m guessing if you go Enterprise (ie half a staff wage), they will - I hope - prioritise CPU cycles for you.

Jon_Shay
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there any truth to this? I might even consider enterprise if I knew the software would move faster

Helmi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m not an insider but I’m guessing a lot of the performance is just due to the way Airtable works - a lot of stuff is happening in the browser and all the data has pushed forward and backward from and to your browser. I’m not sure if more CPU cycles really helps here. But if Enterprise is an option for you (meaning you can spend much more money than on a pro plan) you’d probably better call your sales rep than hanging out in the forums.

For us the time at Airtable is coming to an end. We’re reaching the 50k rows limit and there’s no option to upgrade (support didn’t even mention Enterprise options in the chat so I guess it’s not much different there).

As we can’t consolidate data easily I guess we’ve just outgrown Airtable for now. We’re going to develop our own stuff now. Airtable really did a great job for us so far and is still doing it. It’s just getting slower and slower and I can see why they don’t offer any bigger plans in terms of max rows.

Jon_Shay

That all makes sense.

So to what option are you moveing? What will you be useing insted of Airtable?

Lauren_Briskin1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

My base is also running very slowly. It’s quite small- 50 records in the main table (the US states) and 6 tables, but each of them are only between 20-50 records. One big table has about 50 fields but the rest have about 10. There are lots of linked records between them.

This seems way too small to be running into this kind of slowness.

A speed test shows 53.3 Mbps download and 58.9 upload, so I don’t think that’s it.

I’m trying to get my team to switch to Airtable, but this we’re not off to a good start with this. Any tips?