Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Prefill form field AND Hide it

4348 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Augustin_Clouti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi, is there a way to have a field prefilled in a form AND hide the field at the same time? IMO it should be standard option since most of the time when you prefill a field for users, you don’t want them to even see the field and have the ability to mess with it.

6 Replies 6
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This feature was added to Airtable in 2022 (see this support article), but the much quicker & easier & more powerful way to do this would be to use Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable.

Fillout is 100% free and offers hundreds of features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer, including the ability to update Airtable records from a form, display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & Airtable attachments & formulas on forms, dynamically & conditionally filter linked record fields by any values that you would like, perform math or other live calculations on your forms, accept payments on forms, create multi-page forms with conditional paths, create new linked records on a form, display as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachments), connect a single form to dozens of external apps simultaneously, limit the number of linked records that can be chosen, upload an unlimited amount of attachments simultaneously, add CAPTCHAs to your form, add choice matrixes to your forms, direct integration with hundreds of apps like Calendly & Google Maps on your forms, and so much more.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

I had a random thought the other day, but haven’t tested it yet (and don’t have time now; I’m heading out the door), but I’ll throw it out there.

Have the desired form field only visible when a condition is met, and intentionally make the condition something that will never actually happen; i.e. only show the field when another field’s entry is “zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz” for example. :slightly_smiling_face: In theory, the field should still be filled, but the condition will keep it hidden. I just don’t know if the prefilled value will still go through once submitted.

I’ll test it later on myself, but I wanted to toss this out in case either of you beat me to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Augustin_Clouti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

To Justin: I tried this method today and it does not work unfortunately. The prefill value does not get through

This feature was added to Airtable in 2022 (see this support article), but the much quicker & easier & more powerful way to do this would be to use Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable.

Fillout is 100% free and offers hundreds of features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer, including the ability to update Airtable records from a form, display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & Airtable attachments & formulas on forms, dynamically & conditionally filter linked record fields by any values that you would like, perform math or other live calculations on your forms, accept payments on forms, create multi-page forms with conditional paths, create new linked records on a form, display as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachments), connect a single form to dozens of external apps simultaneously, limit the number of linked records that can be chosen, upload an unlimited amount of attachments simultaneously, add CAPTCHAs to your form, add choice matrixes to your forms, direct integration with hundreds of apps like Calendly & Google Maps on your forms, and so much more.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

marks
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey there - I wanted to quickly let folks who follow this thread know about this recent release: New Feature: Hide Form Field by URL Parameters

CristianCG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi everyone,

Airtable now offers the ability to prefill and hide fields using the hide_FieldName=true URL parameter, along with prefill_FieldName=value. This is a useful feature for many cases, but if you’re looking for even more flexibility, we’ve developed a third-party solution at miniExtensions designed specifically for Airtable users.

Our tool allows you to prefill hidden fields without including them in the form structure or the URL itself. Additionally, we provide the option to automatically submit the form after pre-filling, streamlining the process further.

You can try this feature on our site using the “Allow prefilling hidden fields” option:

CristianCG_2-1728080705426.png