cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAHU_01
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there

I do not have found a solution on the community or the web to my problem I try to resolve using AT.
I have a huge library of books. Instead of typing all books into a AT database (e.g. Book Catalog provided by AT) I would like to Scan the ISBN bar code (which is on each book) and populate my database with author, title, year etc. - basically all the record available on apps such as goodreads etc.
After all, the barcode can be read easily, it should after reading “simply” populate the record with the relevant data.

Does anybody have any idea to do this?
I have read, that it may be possible using API - but I have never worked with this. If so - could anyone give me some initial information how this could be achieved?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

11 Replies 11
Michael_McLaugh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Do you have an example of the information extracted from a barcode?

Depending on the output format from a scanned barcode, you may be able to scan the barcode into one field and have logic in other fields using functions like MID() and FIND() to get the info you want in an organized format.

I cant post the link as I’m on my phone at the moment, but if you look up the formula field reference page, it should show you some functions

MAHU_01

Hi there
Thanks for your Reply. I try to explain what I am trying to achieve a bit more detailed.
Each book has its own unique Code, ISBN. If you scan this Code in Airtable using the Barcode field, the unique Code is returned. You can type this very same Code in e.g. Amazon and it Returns the book.
For example, the ISBN number of Moneyland by Oliver Bullough has the number 9781781257920. What I would like to achieve is to be able to scan the ISBN number using Airtable on my phone and Airtable to fill in widely available Information such as author, title etc.

As you can see in the attachment, I was able to scan the Code and it correctly returned 9781781257920. But how can I make Airtable to automatically fill in the other fields of this record?

Any support is highly appreciated. Thanks.

I hope this makes my Problem somewhat clearer.Snap_Shot Book Catalog.JPG

MAHU_01

Is there really no one who can provide any help at all?

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @MAHU_01

Maybe you could contact Airtable support. They might be able to help you.

If you open Airtable app, select the gear symbol, (upper left corner) then select “Contact support” and it will open a chat page. Then leave a message, it may take a few days, but when they respond, it will be by email.

Mary

Chris_Tennant

This is how I might do it, few possibilities:

1. Zapier & Google Sheets & AirTable
    a) Use Zapier to copy new records to a google sheet
    b) use Google App script to pull in book data to sheet via an API on record update.
    c) have Zapier update Airtable record with new info

2. Start in Google Sheets then similar to above

3. Something with Integromat

Matt_Frederick
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a similar question, different use case. I didn’t see a Zapier to pull in the information from (for example) BarcodeLookup.com? I will take a look at their site tomorrow and see if there’s something possible…

Well, their API is $99 a month minimum. Out of range for this one-off issue…

Hi @Matt_Frederick

Could you explain a little more about what you are trying to do?

My understanding with barcodes is that the barcode on the books, once scanned, will give you information about the book. But maybe I am misunderstanding your use case.

Thank you,
Mary

Matt_Frederick
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We’re building an inventory tracker for a photo studio. Its not books, but apparel & gear, but same process as any inventory need. Currently we’re entering style numbers and product names manually and would be nice to scan the barcode and have the style numbers/names pulled in automatically.

Hello,

Did you ever find a solution? I am looking for something like this :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

yerigagarin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Create an automation:

yerigagarin_2-1706663279947.png

Use this script:

// Create an async await function
async function getBooksDetails() {
  try {
    // Import cell where is the ISBN code
    const isbn = input.config().ISBN;
    // Call Google Book API
    const baseUrl = 'https://www.googleapis.com/books/v1/volumes?q=isbn:';
    // Create URL base
    const url = `${baseUrl}${isbn}`;

// Fetch data
    const response = await fetch(url);
    // Save data
    const data = await response.json();

if (data && data.items && data.items.length > 0) {
      const { volumeInfo } = data.items[0];

// Create a variable with book details
      const bookDetails = {
        Título: volumeInfo.title || "",
        Subtítulo: volumeInfo.subtitle || "",
        Editorial: volumeInfo.publisher || "",
        Autor: (volumeInfo.authors && volumeInfo.authors.length > 0) ? volumeInfo.authors[0] : "",
        Publicación: volumeInfo.publishedDate || "",
        Descripción: volumeInfo.description || "",
        Idioma: volumeInfo.language || "",
        Portada: (volumeInfo.imageLinks && volumeInfo.imageLinks.thumbnail) || ""
      };

// Update cell information
      Object.entries(bookDetails).forEach(([key, value]) => {
        output.set(key, value);
      });
    } else {
      throw new Error("No se encontraron detalles del libro.");
    }
  } catch (error) {
    console.error("Error al obtener detalles del libro:", error.message);
  }
}