472 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Goris
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone - I’m new to Airtable and loving it but somehow can’t figure out the following:
I want to make a simple staff schedule (max 10 employees in various roles) that ideally would show each shift in a colour with the name of the employee in it. We have several fixed shifts (daily day and night) and a few more irregular ones (ie cleaning staff with various start and end times).
I then want staff members to be able to iCal their part of the calendar into whatever app they use themselves, and use data to calculate staff payouts and such later on.

I know it’s a block in my own brain but can’t figure out how to structure this one, a little tip would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! D

1 Reply 1
Williams_Innova
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Daniel_Goris,

This is interesting for sure! So, from what I gather, you are looking for a few things. I will try to summarize and let me know if I’m missing something.

• First, you want a calendar that will show all employee’s work times, categorized by shift/schedule.
  • Second, you want any employee to have the ability to bring their own schedule into their preferred app.
  • Third, you want to use the whole employee schedule to calculate payouts (possibly an external calculation).

Couple of questions:

1. Who, or how many people will need to edit the schedule?
  2. Do you need the schedule to show each and every day, meaning does each day need to be its own instance to account for variability like vacation/sick/holiday?

I think there would also be more questions, especially as the ones above are answered. The 2 questions above would dictate the approach I would use though. Its either creating a general calendar that would be relatively easy to manage and just shows shift times and associated employees or a more detailed approach, that would show each day an employee is working, however, it would be more complex to set up.

After that, Airtable can be synced to a lot of external calendars so it would just depend on what the employee is using.

As for the payouts, this should be pretty straight forward. Once you have the calendar set up, then set the attributes for the calculation. I’ve done something similar to predict reliability for parts in Airtable.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Chris