2196 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chetem
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to Airtable but it looks extremely powerful and I’m pretty excited about what it can do.

I do have one question though – is there any way to store Users in a base? In particular, I’m asking about users that would need to log in to a website so there would be a password field. From what I can see, there’s no way to hide the contents of a field and I don’t think storing a password in a base would be secure enough.

Does anyone know much about this or any workarounds? Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Mac
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

You can hide fields.

I’m not entirely sure what your need is for storing user passwords, but I would say no, Airtable is not secure enough for that.

Some web applications that have to store user passwords use a process called hashing to store the passwords in an unrecognizable form, and then use that same process to check user input against the hashed password when a user logs in.

Unless you are writing a hashing algorithm into a formula field, and then deleting the users raw password once it is hashed, you don’t want to store user passwords that could present a security issue in Airtable.

Thanks @Jeremy_Oglesby. That’s what I was thinking too about it not be securing enough and wasn’t sure if there were any workarounds available. It seems like Airtable can do just about everything for managing content for a web app except for User management. Thanks for your reply.

You can also check this:

Yeah I already read this but it doesn’t address the first question. I am also trying to simplify things to just the Airtable app and all I need is a user management capability. Does the community have any simple suggestions (read, suitable for a noob) to help with that? Thanks for any help!

Enrique_Torrebl
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I use php to integrate Airtable as a database. You can use a hash function like md5 or other more secure functions in your backend code and then save that value (nonsense string of characters) in Airtable.

Would love a tut on that

This guide might help:

https://chinarajames.com/user-database-with-airtable-part-1/