1460 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amanda_Shipka
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I frequently use table-sync to sync tables between bases. I then link the synced records to records in other tables to maintain a single-source of truth for all of the information that I manage across my bases.

I have been running into an issue where the synced records seem to un-link themselves. In the record history it shows the un-linking happening by Table-Sync. This does not happen with every sync, it seems to happen sporadically.

Why is this happening and how can I keep it from happening in the future?

7 Replies 7
Amanda_Shipka

It’s funny how after dealing with an issue for weeks, minutes after posting the question is when I finally figure it out.

This was happening because I was not maintaining an untouched separate synced view. I was syncing my master view, which I would occasionally filter to use as I’m working. If it then synced over as a filtered view, any records that were filtered out in the view un-linked themselves.

Amanda_Shipka

This DOES highlight a major problem with syncing. I’m lucky that my bases do not have thousands of records and I was able to go in and re-link manually. In another month or two this would not be possible.

That’s a very good point for everyone to keep in mind, which is that when it comes to syncing, you are always syncing a specific VIEW, not a specific TABLE.

So when setting up syncing, it’s best to create a new view, and call it something like “Synced View”. Then, keep it locked so that people can’t accidentally change the filter on that view.

Yes I have now done this, however I still feel very vulnerable.

Val
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Amanda_Shipka , we have the same problem.
Do you think the problem with the filter in synced view?
Are you sure that this is the problem?

I locked the view and checked sorting, by default I see that sorting is another in the synced table.

Amanda_Shipka

@Val If the view you are syncing has records filtered out during a sync, then those records will be removed from the synced base. If they are removed, then they will be de-linked from any linked records.

happened to me today as well., but can be easily resolved if you set to leave data in place. if a record is deleted or hidden.
in this way, you will not get this unlinking.
and there is a nice button where you can clean deleted records in the linked base.