1059 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eliezer_Steinbo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I use the Typeform integration with AirTable but when sending multi-select data where the user has chosen the “other” option and entered a custom value it doesn’t get added to my AirTable.

This uses the Typeform integration on the Typeform website and not the AirTable block so not sure if anyone here can be of help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don’t have specific experience with TypeForm, but I do know that many platforms (including Integromat) have problems with Airtable’s single-select fields & multi-select fields — the exact problem that you’re describing. So it sounds like TypeForm has this same problem as well.

The easiest solution of all would be to just change your multi-select field in Airtable to include a new option called “Other”. Then, add a brand new single line text field in Airtable called “Other Response”, which would then appear on your TypeForm form when the user selected “Other” from the multi-select field. So, all new custom values would be added into this “Other Response” field in Airtable.

However, if you’d like to leave things setup as they are now, the easiest solution that I’ve found so far is to use Zapier as the middleman between TypeForm and Airtable.

Zapier has 100% full support for Airtable’s single-select and multi-select fields, so Zapier will be able to take the data from your TypeForm form and then put all of that data into Airtable — including multi-select & single-select fields.

(I bet that you can also do this with Airtable’s API, but that would be much more complicated to work with than just using an easy-to-use automation tool like Zapier.)

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Welcome to the community, @ Eliezer_Steinbock! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Could you please share more about how this is done? It sounds like someone chooses “Other” from your multi-select, then enters more detail into…a text field? If that’s the case, do you have a matching text field in Airtable to collect the data? Anything more you can clarify about the process and the setup you created would be helpful.

Eliezer_Steinbo

Yes,

The Typeform Connect page has the following option:

You then get taken to a screen where you have to match up field types:

eg.
email => email
yes/no => boolean
multiselect => multiselect

If you don’t match up the fields correctly it errors and if you use the Other option you need to make sure your AirTable has a field called Other.
However when a user actually submits a field where they chose Other as an option the row doesn’t get entered into AirTable. I assume it’s because AirTable is unaware of the custom response type.

Thanks for the update, and apologies for not replying sooner. I don’t have personal experience with Typeform yet, and unfortunately won’t have time to experiment with it for at least a week. If anyone else is able to step in and assist, please do so.

I don’t have specific experience with TypeForm, but I do know that many platforms (including Integromat) have problems with Airtable’s single-select fields & multi-select fields — the exact problem that you’re describing. So it sounds like TypeForm has this same problem as well.

The easiest solution of all would be to just change your multi-select field in Airtable to include a new option called “Other”. Then, add a brand new single line text field in Airtable called “Other Response”, which would then appear on your TypeForm form when the user selected “Other” from the multi-select field. So, all new custom values would be added into this “Other Response” field in Airtable.

However, if you’d like to leave things setup as they are now, the easiest solution that I’ve found so far is to use Zapier as the middleman between TypeForm and Airtable.

Zapier has 100% full support for Airtable’s single-select and multi-select fields, so Zapier will be able to take the data from your TypeForm form and then put all of that data into Airtable — including multi-select & single-select fields.

(I bet that you can also do this with Airtable’s API, but that would be much more complicated to work with than just using an easy-to-use automation tool like Zapier.)

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. I guess I will try Zapier in that case. I don’t think the other solution works as Typeform doesn’t let you connect Other to another field and issue is it just doesn’t insert the row at all when the field doesn’t exist in the multi select

meenalmalhotra
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It's 2023 and still it is not resolved by airtable. Going through Zapier is the only way out it seems. Anyone found a solution?